Well, I’ve done it. I’m more than halfway through The 21 Day Sugar Detox and I was feeling mighty fine…then I got this cold, sore throat, and nasty plugged up nose. The first thing that crossed my mind was to go get spoonfuls of raw honey and soothe my burning throat. Crap…I can’t have honey. Ok, how about a cough syrup? I don’t think so. They all have some form of sugar and other weird ingredients.
Ok, so how do you tackle a cold when you are on The 21 day Sugar Detox?
1) Make a crock pot tea remedy and drink all day! This is something a friend of mine taught me and now I do it every time one of us is sick. Put on a kettle of water and boil. Then add the whole kettle of water to the crock pot. Cut up a lemon or two, squeeze the juices into the crock pot, then throw in the rind. Next, add a few sticks of cinnamon, a few inches of fresh garlic, and a few green/or black tea bags. Simmer in the crock pot on low all day and drink when needed.
2) Substitute coconut oil for raw honey. Coconut oil soothes the throat just as good, maybe even better, than raw honey. I add a scoop to my mug of tea when I drink my crock pot tea.
3) Increase your Vitamin D3 intake to 1,000iu per pound of body weight. Yes, it seems like a lot, but it will knock out the cold in no time!
4) Blow your nose often, one nostril at a time. Blow it often too. If your sinus’ are really stopped up, consider doing a Neti Pot to help clear them.
5) Gargle! Gargling moistens the sore throat and brings temporary relief. Add a teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water and gargle. Get the water as deep into your throat as you can. Do this four times a day. You can also gargle with a turmeric/cayenne mixture. Cayenne works so great because it increases blood flow to your sore throat and promotes healing that way. Add a 5 shakes of cayenne and 5 shakes of turmeric to a warm glass of water. Gargle it several times throughout the day.
I refuse to let this cold bring me down! I feel like I have gone through the worst of this detox…which even wasn’t that bad for me. I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 8lbs! I haven’t taken my measurements yet; I will do that at the end to see how many inches I have lost. Other than the cold, I feel great. My cravings are gone and I am not even tempted by the amazing Paleo treats I have been making for my kids. I am considering staying on the detox throughout the duration of Lent.
I am posting halfway picture. The quality in the “now” picture is pretty bad. I’m sorry, hubby has been working a lot and I don’t trust my 4 year old with my Rebel camera…but I can still notice how my stomach is not as bloated! I’ll take a better one when I’m all done with the detox.