“Maca is a plant that grows in central Peru in the high plateaus of the Andes mountains. It has been cultivated as a vegetable crop in Peru for at least 3000 years. Maca is a relative of the radish and has an odor similar to butterscotch. Its root is used to make medicine.” (1) The benefits of Maca have long been valued and has gained more and more popularity in recent years. Culture is awakening to the fact that Maca carries a long list of nourishment to the body. The amazing thing about Maca is that it is an adaptogen, meaning it adapts to the needs of your body.
14 Benefits of Maca Powder:
- Increases Energy – Maca has a reputation for boosting energy levels without stressing the adrenals (like coffee can)
- Increases Libido and Sexual Function – Maca is a known aphrodisiac among native Peruvian culture. It has been known to increase the libido among men and women!
- Improves Fertility – Black Maca has been known to increase sperm count and volume in men and Red Maca has been known to balance female hormones and ovulation cycles.
- Regulates Hormone Balance – Maca has a vast variety of amino acids, which are known as the building blocks of hormones.
- Reduces Depression – When you take Maca regularly, Maca can work to increase positive emotional moods. Maca has a very unique nutrient called macamides, which aid in decreasing depression and anxiety.
- Reduces Anxiety – Maca has a positive effect on your individual mood and can help to reduce any self-perceived anxiety.
- Helps with Menopause – Many Maca uses report a significant decrease in hot flashes after using Maca powder.
- Enhances Mental Clarity – Black Maca has been shown to have a beneficial effect on learning and memory. Maca is safe for both children and adults!
- Improves Blood Circulation – a very interesting property of Maca, is that it has been seen to improve blood circulation.
- Improves Acne – When acne is related to hormone imbalance, taking Maca can be very productive for improving hormonal acne.
- Improves Muscle Gain – More and more athletes and bodybuilders are using Maca powder to increase their athletic performance.
- Improves Thyroid Function – Due to the hormone balancing properties in Maca, it has been known to stimulate thyroid function.
- Improves Strong Teeth and Bones – Black Maca is great for increasing bone density and strength.
- Improves Skin Tone – Maca has a strong nutrient content and hormone balancing effect on our skin.
- Improves Hair Growth – Maca has been traditionally used to stimulate hair growth, as well as prevent hair loss.
Which Maca is Right for You?
There are several different types of Maca and choosing which one you should use can sometimes be overwhelming. Raw Maca has never been heated and all the enzymes and nutrients are left in tact at peak levels. This is the one that I prefer to use.
Gelantized Maca is heated to remove all the start content within the root. This makes it more concentrated, however, the high heat destroys some of the enzymes and alters the nutrients. If you have a sensitive stomach, gelantized maca would be the one for you.
Click here to see a great article on choosing which Maca you should take.
Where to Buy Quality Maca Powder:
After figuring out which Maca powder is right for you and your body’s needs, I, personally, use and recommend THIS brand of Maca. I find that The Maca Team carries very high quality Maca powder and they are willing to work with you to figure out which Maca you need. My husband takes the Black Maca and I take the Red Maca. I prefer to take 2 teaspoons daily in my morning smoothie! I don’t mind the taste of Maca, but if you do, The Maca Team sells capsules. Click here to check out The Maca Team products!
[box]The Maca Team is offering my readers a 10% discount using coupon code: PALEOMAMA. CLICK HERE to order quality Maca products! [/box]
14 Recipes Using Maca Powder
Remember to use coupon code: PALEOMAMA to order Maca products today from The Maca Team! Click here to order!
I love maca powder!! I just wanted to warn you though, that consuming it raw may not be the best option…
I have recently started using maca powder. I just wanted to clarify something in the interest of accuracy though…amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, not hormones, as number 4 states. So if they do “balance hormones” it is by a different mechanism.
I started eating Maca powder a few months ago after learning it helped with fertility and have been loving it since! I usually just add it to smoothies or my daily cup of joe!
sarah greene says
Hello, great article, thanks! I am taking maca root supplements for more than a year now to raise my energies and I’m very happy with the results. At first I used raw maca and it caused me some stomach problems. I consulted about this problem with my nutritionist, and was advised to try gelatinized form of maca that is supposed to be much better for the digestion. It worked great and after a while my stomach issues were solved. Now I’m taking maca as a part of my daily diet and living a super energrtic life thanks to it.
The coupon code has expired – will a new one be issued?
I was wondering if you can take maca while you are breastfeeding?
It is advised every where else I have read from maca which can be used to help fertility that it be stopped when pregnant.
Deb Austin says
Tried using your code to get 10% off Maca. Says the code has been disabled???
Catherine Brincat says
I bought organic maka powder from the company (Naturya). How would I know whether it’s red/white/black maca?
It does not state anything on the package.
Frank Siloye says
I love love Maca Root.
My first encounter with it fascinated.
I am a very shy guy and cannot even look up at people when speaking to them.
After taking maca root, i noticed i became so confident and joyful.
Everyone was commenting that i had improved.
Of cos my libido too got boosted.
Nobidy says how to take the maca powser? I need help
Jackie Ritz says
Each of the 14 recipes in the blog will give directions for using.
I have been using maca powder for 4-5 months, started using after I miscarried in Spring. I started having symptoms of leaky gut that are affecting my bladder to where a doctor said could be IC (an extremely painful condition that requires time to heal), a few months ago. I don’t know if its the maca powder, but warnings say has been reported to cause digestive issues…. So, pay attention to your body and any symtoms that may arise. I also was taking the recomnended amt. of 1-3 tsp daily, TOO much for me, it was causing agitation, depression for a day or two, and sleeplessness. I stopped for a week or two, now I use 1/2-1 tsp every couple days. I am considering stopping completely bc of my GI issues that I’ve NEVER had before, and if I take again, the gelatinized form is probably best. Take care, and remember too much of a good thing is ususlly not best.