I did my grocery shopping today at BJ’s Wholesale. I didn’t want to sign up for a membership because I have a Sam’s and Costco membership, but I received a free 2 month membership incentive in the mail and thought I would give it a try.
I have to say…I am quite impressed. They have MUCH more organic produce than Costco even does. I love Costco and find a lot of Paleo items there, but it’s a 20 minute drive for me. BJ’s is right down the road!
Here’s a few things I loved about BJ’s:
***Note: I buy organic when I can find it and when I can afford it into our budget***
- They are CHEAP! REALLY cheap…even their organic foods are cheap.
- They have Kerrygold butter!
- They have a MUCH larger selection of natural household cleaners.
- They have large quantities…but they also have small quantities. So, if you are single, or it’s just you and your partner, then BJ’s would still be awesome! They had large packages of their meats (5lbs) and smaller packages (2lbs)!
- LOTS of organic produce!
- A good selection of healthy snacks for the kids (nuts, fruit leather, Buddy Fruit applesauce pouches, organic yogurt (if you do dairy), cases of olives, and good selection of fruit (some organic).
Here’s a few things I bought at BJ’s and what I spent:
- Stretch Island Fruit Leather (all fruit), 30 pieces: $6.99 – These are usually $0.50 a piece in the grocery store. At BJ’s, you can get it for half the price!
- Organic Girl Superfoods Green Mix, 1lb: $4.99
- English Cucumber, 2ct: $2.79
- 1lb bag of Kale: $1.99
- Green Pepper, 4ct: 4.99
- HUGE bag of Organic Peas: $6.49
- Red Pepper, 4ct: $4.99
- Bananas, 3lbs: $1.49
- Almond Milk, 86oz: $3.49
- Organic Celery, 3 hearts: $3.79
- Applegate Smoked Turkey Deli cuts, (2) 7oz packs: $7.69
- Applegate Forest Ham Deli cuts, (2) 7oz packs: $7.29
- Applegate Beef Hot Dogs, (2) 12oz packs, $8.29
- Organic Fuji Apples, 5lbs: $8.99
- Black Olives, 6 cans: $6.89
- Organic Carrots, 5lbs: $4.49
- Blueberries, 18oz: $6.99
- Ground Pork, 2.5lbs: $4.98
- Beef Stew Meat: 5lbs: $17.08
- YoKids Organic Yogurt Squeezers, 16 tubes: $5.99 (this is the only dairy my kids get…I freeze them)
- Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes, 6 cans: $5.99
- Kiwi, 3lbs: $5.49
- Buddy Fruit Applesauce Pouches, 12ct: $7.79
- Lara Bars, 12ct: $10.99 – *unfortunately, these were the Uber Lara Bars which have brown rice syrup in them…so not 100% Paleo
Non-Paleo Food Items (yes, I am human) and Household Stuff:
- Giradelli Chocolate Chips, 5lbs: $8.99
- Veggie Straws: $4.99
- Jimmy Dean Turkey Links: $8.99
- Basmati Brown Rice: $4.99 – (I buy this to go with my Asian foods at parties where some people don’t get Cauliflower Rice)
- Kids Shampoo, 4pk: $5.99
- Hydrogen Peroxide, 2pck: $2.29 (I use this for bleaching)
Total Spent: $210.00 – $10 over my weekly food budget
I allot $200 a week to groceries. This covers all household supplies, dog food, cleaning supplies, and anything else. This week, I am using these meats from my freezer: Tilapia, chicken breasts, and Salmon. I, always, buy my meat in larger portions and split them up, then freeze.
What else do you find at BJ’s Wholesale Club that is Paleo-worthy?