Winding down at night can be tough at times. I know my mind keeps going for minutes and sometimes hours after I lay my head down on my pillow. The same goes for our kids.
Sometimes we expect that as soon as we shut the door, they are going to be sweet little angels and fall asleep. Most the time we are proven wrong!
Our nightly routine has become essential at our house. I notice that the nights we go from dinner to bed is CRAZY. The kids are not ready to rush rush rush and then get in bed. So, I stopped expecting it from them and started taking our bedtime routine a little more seriously.
Now we eat dinner at the table as family and then we slowly start getting ready for bed. The kids take a nice relaxing bath, sometimes a detox bath, with certain essential oils in it, and then we get all snuggled up in our pajamas and read books.
During our reading time I apply essential oils to my kids. They absolutely love this! The 3 main oils I choose to apply are Frankincense, Lavender, and Vetiver because these oils promote a nice, restful sleep.
Whipped Sleepytime Rub
makes 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cups of Cacao (or Cocoa) Butter (where to buy)
- 1/4 cups of coconut oil (where to buy)
- 20 drops of therapeutic grade Lavender (where to buy)
- 12 drops of Vetiver (where to buy)
- 10 drops of Frankincense (where to buy)
Other oils to use: you can substitute any of the above oils with Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, Cedarwood, orClary Sage. All these oils promote relaxation and a restful night’s sleep! You can buy all your therapeutic grade essential oils HERE.
- Add the coconut oil and the cacao butter to a small pan and simmer till melted.
- Let rest on the counter for 10 minutes.
- Add the essential oils to the pan and then put it in the fridge for an hour.
- You want it to be firm but not too hard. Then whip it on high with an electric mixer until the mixture softens and forms peaks.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Take a small pea-sized amount and massage it into your feet or your children’s feet before bed.
- Sleepy tight!