Welcome to The Paleo Mama! Grab my free eBook below!

• Create a chemical-free home by using simple and cheap ingredients! It's FREE!

Whipped Sleepytime Rub

Whipped-Sleepytime-Rub

Winding down at night can be tough at times. I know my mind keeps going for minutes and sometimes hours after I lay my head down on my pillow. The same goes for our kids.

Sometimes we expect that as soon as we shut the door, they are going to be sweet little angels and fall asleep. Most the time we are proven wrong!

Our nightly routine has become essential at our house. I notice that the nights we go from dinner to bed is CRAZY. The kids are not ready to rush rush rush and then get in bed. So, I stopped expecting it from them and started taking our bedtime routine a little more seriously.

Now we eat dinner at the table as family and then we slowly start getting ready for bed. The kids take a nice relaxing bath, sometimes a detox bath, with certain essential oils in it, and then we get all snuggled up in our pajamas and read books.

During our reading time I apply essential oils to my kids. They absolutely love this! The 3 main oils I choose to apply are Frankincense, Lavender, and Vetiver because these oils promote a nice, restful sleep.

Whipped Sleepytime Rub

makes 1/2 cup

INGREDIENTS:

Other oils to use: you can substitute any of the above oils with Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, Cedarwood, orClary Sage. All these oils promote relaxation and a restful night’s sleep! You can buy all your therapeutic grade essential oils HERE.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Add the coconut oil and the cacao butter to a small pan and simmer till melted.
  2. Let rest on the counter for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the essential oils to the pan and then put it in the fridge for an hour.
  4. You want it to be firm but not too hard. Then whip it on high with an electric mixer until the mixture softens and forms peaks.

HOW TO APPLY:

• Take a small pea-sized amount and massage it into your feet or your children’s feet before bed.
  • Sleepy tight!

Whipped-Sleepytime-Rub-www.thepaleomama.com_

, ,

103 Responses to Whipped Sleepytime Rub

1. CC July 4, 2014 at 12:27 am #

This looks great. How long does the mixture last? I mean, you don’t have to re-whip it, do you? The texture stays “fresh”?

• The Paleo Mama July 25, 2014 at 9:12 am #

It stays light and soft. It doesn’t stay fluffy for more than a few weeks though. Still works wonderfully!

• Dianne April 18, 2016 at 1:24 pm #

Mine whipped up great. after I put it in a jar and reopened it to use the next day it was very hard. What can I do to keep it soft?

• Jackie Ritz April 20, 2016 at 7:53 am #

It hardens when room temps are warmer than normal. You can either warm it slightly before use or try adding fractionated coconut oil, which does not harden due to temps.

2. Samantha S July 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

Have you found this to help with toddlers who wake throughout the night?

• The Paleo Mama July 25, 2014 at 9:03 am #

If they are waking during the night from nightmares, I recommend using Juniper Berry Essential oil.

• Sharon April 1, 2015 at 11:13 pm #

Do you add the Juniper Berry Oil to this whipped blend? If so how much?

• The Paleo Mama April 2, 2015 at 10:02 am #

You could use the Juniper Berry oil in place of the coconut oil, or use a ratio blend of each.

3. Jasmine Freihoff July 28, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

You mentioned using Juniper Berry for nightmares in the comments. Would you add this to the mix or use in the occurrence of a nightmare? And is the above mix with or without the juniper berry safe for a 15 month old?

4. Heather August 11, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

This sounds wonderful! I was wondering if there is any other place to by the oils if you do not want to sign up with the company? Thanks πŸ™‚

5. Loretta Torres August 23, 2014 at 9:44 am #

I made this for my husband & myself because we’ve both been having trouble staying asleep. Well, we’ve gotten the best sleep for the last 3 nights! Thank you so much!

6. Brynn September 2, 2014 at 1:28 am #

Is there another type of oil you might recommend? I’m allergic to coconut. πŸ™

7. new at this September 9, 2014 at 11:36 pm #

new to essential oils…dumb question…where do you rub it?!?! will be applying to 9yo boy, 6yo girl and 55yo “big kid” πŸ˜‰
    thank you!

• new at this September 9, 2014 at 11:39 pm #

withdraw comment!!! just read to apply to feet. apparently didn’t read far enough! thank you for your posts!!!

8. Diana October 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

If you are allergic to coconut oil substitute with sweet almond or jojoba oil

9. Diana October 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

I also add 1/2 teaspoon vitamin e oil for skin benefits and to prolong the life of yr cream

10. Diana October 1, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

Just remember anything you would consume is good for your skin if it tastes gross or can’t pronounce it then question it anything you apply to your skin IPAs absorbed within 20 seconds to 2 mins

11. Diana October 1, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Lavender is-stress relief, I make a head ache balm and a calming massage balm to help people, also encourage flowing on a thumb this slows down the heart rate ccccccc
    Recant

12. Melodie Jones October 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

Do you sell the whip already made. I would be interested in purchasing some. How much do you charge?

13. Heather Rainey October 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

How should we store this? In a closed container? Fridge? Counter?

14. Chris October 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm #

How and where do you store the rub? If it starts to loose the “fluffy-ness” can you re-whip?

• The Paleo Mama October 15, 2014 at 9:59 am #

I store it on the counter and it stays light and fluffy but after awhile it will lose the whipped consistency.

15. Pam October 9, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

do you ever find the cocoa butter smell overpowers the rub? I LOVE the consistency of this rub, but sometimes feel like the cocoa butter smell is overwhelming the wonderful aroma of the oils. Thanks

• The Paleo Mama October 15, 2014 at 9:58 am #

YEs I can smell it…but it doesn’t bother me. You can remove it completely from the recipe but it helps hold the whipped consistency.

• Caroline Warner June 22, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Buy the organic unscented coconut butter. Thats what I use and I cant smell the “coco” smell at all.

16. Tera October 13, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Hi! Great idea! I have read serveral articles about lavender being connected to sending children into puberty early. Have you heard this? Thank you!

17. Holli H October 15, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

I made this, but wasn’t able to whip it until a couple days after. I let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before whipping and I was only able to get it to a “butter” consistency. Should I whip it longer? I only made one batch so there isn’t much there to whip and it definitely doesn’t look as nice as yours from your picture. Thanks for any input!

• The Paleo Mama October 18, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

You could try whipping it a little longer. Mine took about 2-3 minutes to whip in my Kitchen Aid and it was ready.

18. Jackie October 24, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Did you get the info you needed? just thought I would check to make sure The Paleo Mama answered this πŸ™‚

19. Angela October 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

Can you use this on babies? How young?

• The Paleo Mama October 27, 2014 at 8:47 am #

It’s very diluted and I have used them on my babies!

• jenn December 26, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Could this be used all whole body or just feet?

20. Rachel T November 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

I’m excited to try this! I love doTERRA oils. Can I substitute shea butter for cocoa butter?

21. Amy November 14, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Can you substitute shea butter for the cocoa butter? I don’t have cocoa but I have shea.

22. Karolina November 20, 2014 at 12:40 am #

Hi – can you add magnesium oil to the cream?

23. Monica December 4, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

I just tried this and it was not whipping up on me. It looked like the way I put it in the refrigerator no white fluffy thing like in picture, so I placing it back in. Only thing different was the oils so what could I be doing wrong.

24. Monica December 5, 2014 at 2:41 pm #

Can you substitute it with shea butter or lessen the coca? I would like to have the hint of some the oils but the Coca hides the scent.

25. Monica December 6, 2014 at 5:43 pm #

My reply keeps getting deleted and not sure why but can you add she butter instead of coca?

26. Kristi December 6, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Diana….would you share your headache balm receipe with me….my daughter and i have reaccuring headaches and would love to try it

27. Robin December 16, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

I was all ready to make this and realized that I don’t have Cocoa butter. I have Shea butter, and thought that I had bought Cocoa butter at the same time but it seems as though I did not. Is there something else that i can use instead?

28. Alicia December 17, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

I made this and within an hour it was turning back into oil….did I do something wrong?

29. Monica January 8, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

After placing in refrigerator longer it did whip. I just tried a batch with shea and it was horrible it was runny and I did the same oils different brand of coconut oil and used vetiver, lavender and serenity.
    So upset had to throw a batch out it was so runny and second was not better went and got the brand I used first time and that did not work either.

30. Love to sleep January 20, 2015 at 4:08 pm #

I tried it out. It did not get soft and fluffy πŸ™ It’s pretty hard but it softens up in my hand which makes it still completely usable. Any suggestions? Maybe my house is too cold πŸ™‚

• The Paleo Mama February 4, 2015 at 8:24 am #

It’s possible the temp in your home is cool enough to cause the oil to solidify.

31. Leslie February 14, 2015 at 8:58 pm #

Can you use this nightly as a whole body lotion with 2.5yr old? If it’s better just on the feet, do you have a whole body toddler lotion recipe? Thanks!

32. sue February 16, 2015 at 9:02 pm #

can you use shea butter instead of cocoa

33. Lashonda February 17, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

We have a tree nut allergy and can’t use coconut oil. Can avocado oil be used with the same results?

34. Laura February 18, 2015 at 5:10 pm #

Just made a batch and put it in the fridge, and after 35 minutes it was hard as a rock! I reheated it to soften it up enough to whip. We’ll see how it turns out.

35. Kristi February 22, 2015 at 10:07 am #

Is this safe to use if you are still breastfeeding? Sometimes I have a really hard time falling asleep nights before I work as a nurse, but I don’t like to risk my milk supply to take anything! Thanks πŸ™‚

36. vICTORIA February 25, 2015 at 4:33 pm #

ANY SUBSTITUE FOR FRANK ??

37. Dynesha March 8, 2015 at 11:21 am #

would this help for someone who can’t sleep and restless leg syndrome?

38. Melissa March 9, 2015 at 6:50 pm #

Is this safe for whole body on a 4 and almost 2 year old, as well? Sorry if this is redundant…just want to be sure πŸ™‚

39. Tammy March 11, 2015 at 6:28 pm #

If someone wants to try this but are allergic to lavender what are some alternatives?

40. melissa March 11, 2015 at 8:15 pm #

I just wanted to let you know this turned out so fluffy and soft beautiful i took a pic but it wont let me post it πŸ™

41. Julie March 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm #

I wanted to know if there is anything other than coconut oil I can use …I over did it one year and I would rather find a alternative how long does it last

42. Kayla March 17, 2015 at 3:26 pm #

I found your recipe a few weeks ago and decided to make it for my 2 daughters. It’s awesome! A little bit goes a looooong way. They share a room and often have trouble settling down for bedtime. I just rub some on their feet and give them a mini massage and they are good to go! They now request it when I forget.

43. Elizabeth April 2, 2015 at 8:23 am #

i was wondering if you used the “whipped” part with any other recipes like vapor rub for chest congestion, ect? I wouldn’t even begin to know the ratios to use. Like how many drops of Eucalyptus, etc. or Breathe.

44. Debie April 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm #

This didn’t make as much as your photo implies. I whipped it up, placed in a container and had to return to the fridge. As soon as i touched it, it seemed to melt making me think it will be hard to get a “pea size” amount. We’ll l see….making this for grandkids who have a hard time settling down. Does it have to stay refrigerated?

45. Elizabeth April 8, 2015 at 5:15 am #

Is the whipping necessary? If I didn’t whip it, would a salve work too? Just wondering if you ever tried it.

46. rita April 12, 2015 at 3:08 pm #

mine did not “simmer” as in low boil. it just got very hot and smoked. was it supposed to boil then turn down heat? or just “simmer” as in heat for 10 mins? and after getting so hot and smoky is it still ok to use? or start over?

47. maxie April 21, 2015 at 9:15 am #

I ordered a block of raw cocoa butter from amazon..I used a portion to make this rub. The cocoa butter smells horrible, even after adding the essential oils, I am returning it. Also mine was not white, I did not whip – maybe that’s why. I would love to sign up for the wholesale but will not give my SS number because I am not going to sell the product. I ordered shea butter and made this rub and it turned out with a pleasant smell.

48. momofthree April 24, 2015 at 10:14 am #

Can I substitute coconut butter for cocoa butter?

49. KatK June 7, 2015 at 7:33 pm #

Is the coconut oil solid? I have Shea Butter and fractionated.

• Jackie Ritz June 8, 2015 at 8:57 am #

Depending on the temperature in the house, the coconut oil may be solid of liquid. It will be fine as long as your house is not too hot.

50. Francine August 9, 2015 at 12:55 am #

Do u have to refridgerate it?

• Jackie Ritz August 9, 2015 at 8:03 am #

If your home is usually pretty warm, it may become too liquidy for you. You can put it in the frig and get it out an hour or so before you use it if desired

51. Francine August 9, 2015 at 1:01 am #

Where can i buy sweet almond oil?

52. Rita August 16, 2015 at 7:56 pm #

i am addicted to this rub! love it. works well and lasts a long time. making my second batch and sharing with friends. funny, the same oils rubbed on my feet in a roller to not produce the same effect. thank you!

53. Jennifer wynne September 14, 2015 at 3:17 pm #

Do you know the shelf life? I’m not familiar with Cacao Butter. Would this need to be refrigerated?

• Jackie Ritz September 15, 2015 at 9:38 am #

You should have several months shelf life. Like any “butters” with an oil base, the warmer the environment the less solid they will be. If your home is reasonably cool you should be able to leave it on a counter

54. amy garrison November 4, 2015 at 4:57 am #

how much does this make? I amabout to make it i need it to make 10 pint jars 16 oz.

i cant figure out the break downoff each ingreident.
    I am severely deslyx and this stuff lkills me.

thank you for the hielp.

amy

55. Brittany November 5, 2015 at 1:21 am #

I live in Asia, so our house can get pretty warm. Can I refrigerate this? Also, what about using peace and calming EO and not doing frankincense? Would that be another good one for this mix?

• Jackie Ritz November 5, 2015 at 7:40 am #

Yes, you can refrigerate it but you will need to let it warm up some to be able to rub it on effectively. I would think you could make the essential oil substitute as you choose.

56. Lelia November 23, 2015 at 9:44 pm #

I made this recently, and it is very “grainy.” Any suggestions?

• Jackie Ritz November 28, 2015 at 8:10 am #

The only reason I can think of that might cause your “grainyness” would be not simmering it until fully melted.

57. Quinvin January 21, 2016 at 6:13 pm #

Could I use eucalyptus and lavender?

58. Kelsi February 3, 2016 at 9:22 am #

Hi there! I made this recipe yesterday but it seemed to have hardened overnight ? does this indicate that perhaps I didn’t mix it long enough? It smells delightful & now works perfectly as a lotion bar but I would also love it to stay ‘whipped’ πŸ™‚

• Jackie Ritz February 11, 2016 at 7:53 am #

If you live in a cooler climate, the coconut oil probably hardened. Just warm it slightly and you should be fine.

59. holly March 15, 2016 at 2:27 am #

What can i use besides coconut oil im allergic to it
    alle

• Jackie Ritz March 15, 2016 at 8:48 am #

You could use Olive Oil or another oil like Almond oil or Jojoba oil.

60. Erica R Cruz March 19, 2016 at 4:22 am #

I’ve got some Shea Butter coming Monday and I have the rest of the ingredients on hand — I’ve had this pinned for quite some time, so excited to finally make it!!

61. Debbie March 20, 2016 at 10:49 pm #

Just made this and used on my feet. My dog absolutely loves coconut oil. He keeps following me around, trying to lick my feet! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the great recipe! Feels amazing!

62. Sara March 21, 2016 at 12:01 pm #

Lovely recipe! At what age is this safe to apply, I know too much EO for Littles can cause seizures. I have a 2 year old, I think this would be OK but I’d like your opinion.

• Jackie Ritz March 22, 2016 at 7:47 am #

Used carefully and sparingly this should be fine for your 2-year old.

• Kat March 29, 2016 at 6:04 pm #

In the amounts and essential oils suggested, shouldn’t be used in children under the age of 12.

63. Kat March 29, 2016 at 6:02 pm #

One should note that a child’s age is important on how much essential oils are used.

For example: 1-5 yrs of age, a “total” of 5-10 drops in 2 oz. of carrier.
    5-7 yrs. of age, a “total” of 5-12 drops in 2 oz. carrier.
    7-12 years of age, a “total” of 5-15 drops in 2 oz. carrier.

Not only that, only certain oils are recommended for children such as (newborns) Roman chamomile, Lavender, (2-12 months add) Manadarin, Tangerine, Eucalyptus, Radiata, Tea Tree, (1-5 yrs add) Geranium, (5-7 yrs. add) Ginger, Ravensara,(7-12 yrs. add) Frankincense, Cypress, Rosemary, Spearmint, and Lemon.

According to NAHA (National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy) and AIA (Alliance of International Aromatherapists)

64. Mel May 1, 2016 at 7:31 pm #

Hi! I’m diabetic and have to becareful of my feet, would this be safe for me?

65. Darenda May 11, 2016 at 9:59 am #

Mine turned out really, really oily. Could I add more cocoa butter to help maybe?