Alternative Vaccination Schedule: Is There a Safe Way?

Want to learn more about essential oils, but not sure how to start? Try my FREE Essential Oil QuickStart guide and get 10 days of lessons delivered to your email inbox for 10 days.  (order here) ...no strings attached!

vaccine_grunge

Like many of you, I have been torn with the burning question of if I should vaccinate my children or if I shouldn’t. I mean this conversation has started arguments with my husband, my friends, and been the topic of heated debate for years and years. It seems that there is so much information on both sides of the argument. What is a mother to do when she has a baby in her arms and wants to protect her baby but doesn’t know the right answer? I know we are told that a woman’s instinct is powerful and knows the right thing to do, but not always. Not when it comes to something so complex as vaccinating. I have been torn with questioning the current CDC schedule and wondering if there is an alternative vaccination schedule I could follow.

This is not a pro-vaccination article. This is not an article against vaccination. This is an article about finding a balance between the two. This is about finding a solution that YOU as a mother, a father, can live with. I don’t believe that it has to be ALL OR NOTHING with vaccines. I believe there can be a safer alternative. I believe there can be an alternative vaccination schedule.

After much heated debate and then heated prayer, my husband and I have decided that we would vaccinate our children, but we would do it very carefully and very slowly. I want to make sure I say that I fully support a family that does not vaccinate their children. There are many times where I questioned if we were doing the right thing by doing this delay/select method that we created. But at the end of the day, I felt in my gut that we made the wisest decision we could for our children.

The current CDC vaccination schedule is mind-blowing. After looking at the schedule that was handed to me when I was pregnant with my first child, I knew I didn’t want to follow the CDC schedule.

vax

I had issues with many of the vaccinations on the right hand side of this infograph. It was TOO FAST and TOO MANY. So, my husband and I went through and talked about each vaccine and how important it was or if it wasn’t truly necessary.

I would HIGHLY suggest you get The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert Sears. It is a very good resource about each vaccine, the side effects, and what the vaccine is for. I would also suggest you not give into anything that promotes mass fear. More important than fear is immunity.  A healthy immune system will prevent illness or keep an illness at a level where immunity is created to that disease state without significant harm to the host. This is what vaccines are supposed to do – to create immunity and help the host not get sick when confronted with that germ.

The intent is helpful. The actuality is not quite so beneficial. By giving too many vaccines at once to a young and immature immune system, we may actually be creating dysfunction and a weaker immune system rather than strengthening it. We may have set the stage for more chronic illness.

Some children with very sensitive immune systems do not tolerate vaccines and can suffer long‐term health issues after vaccination. The challenge is that we do not know who they are before the vaccine is given. The best way to determine if your child may have a sensitive immune system, is to take a look at you and your partner’s family history. Did any relatives have a bad reaction to immunizations in the past? Is there a history of autoimmune disease?

Twenty years ago children received 18 vaccines between 2 months and 5 years (DPT, OPV, HIB, MMR, and HBV). Now they receive 49 total vaccine doses between 2 months and 5 years and during this same twenty-year time frame (as we have increased the number of vaccines) we have seen a huge increase in autism, ADD/ADHD, allergies, asthma, and chronic illness that cannot be explained on environmental factors alone. Many call it coincidence. It is not.

It’s, also, important to understand what the ingredients of vaccines are. They contain ingredients like aluminum (a KNOWN neurotoxin, formaldehyde (a known preservative) MSG (a common allergen), and other ingredients that can be toxic to a body as well.

So what’s the answer if you WANT to vaccinate but you want to do it cautiously?

• Vaccinate slowly – one shot at a time
  • Eat as organic as possible
  • Avoid GMO foods (they are known to cause intestinal problems)
  • Make sure the child is getting adequate vitamin D
  • Give Fermented Cod Liver Oil before, during, and after a vaccination (especially the MMR) – the MMR depletes the Vitamin A stores in the body and Fermented Cod Liver oil is loaded with Vitamin A.
  • Giveprobiotics to help keep their immune system up.
  • Find a provider whose vaccines do not contain Thimerasol
  • If giving a booster- test the blood for titers. If titers are positive then immunity is present and the booster is not even necessary. This is what we have done with our oldest child. She didn’t have to get any boosters at age 4 because she had titers present.

If you choose to vaccinate your children, I suggest, once again, that you do it very slowly. Listen very closely, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO VACCINATE YOUR KIDS SLOWLY. We don’t do the flu shot or the chickenpox and I won’t be going near Guardasil for my daughter. You can start at whatever time you feel it is safe. We chose to start at 9 months but the time you start is completely dependent upon all the risk factors I mentioned above (family history, immune sensitivity) but the schedule starts at 6 months. This is the alternative vaccination schedule that is recommended by our vaccine-friendly Pediatrician.

Alternative Vaccination Schedule (Select/Delay)

• 6 months DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis)
  • 9 months DTaP
  • 12  months DtaP
  • 15  months HIB (Haemophilus influenzae b)
  • 18  months IPV (inactivated polio vaccine)
  • 24  months IPV or Prevnar
  • 27 months IPV or Prevnar
  • 36  months MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
  • 48 months DTaP booster and IPV booster
  • 5 years Whatever was not done at age 4.

This is not set in stone, but it is just something that we feel is best for our children. It looked a little bit different for my daughter because we hadn’t yet come up with this alternative schedule. She got many of the vaccinations too early, but instead of being filled with regret, I choose to be proactive in making sure my son receives vaccinations on the safest schedule.

This is also the schedule that our Pediatrician encouraged. There are many Pediatricians who might discourage this schedule and try to put fear into you. I recommend you finding a vaccine-friendly Pediatrician. You can look here for vaccine-friendly pediatricians near you.

I hope this encourages all of you who are torn…stuck…and about to just give in to the CDC schedule. You have choices. You have right to speak up and say no.

Baby-Vaccines-175058_L1

Did you find this article helpful? Give it a +1 on Google+! Thanks!!

Sources:

Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, psychological, or psychiatric problem, or a disability that requires medical attention, then you should consult your licensed medical doctor or appropriate health care provider. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

, , , , , ,

73 Responses to Alternative Vaccination Schedule: Is There a Safe Way?

1. Heather October 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

So, do you not vaccinate for polio??

2. Melissa @ IntegrativeNutritionalTherapies.com October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Great info! I wanted to also mention…Mary Tocco is an independent vaccine researcher and is also a wealth of information regarding educate before you vaccinate. She is from my home state of MI. I’ve seen her speak several times, and she is riveting. Almost all of her talks are available on youtube. Her website has articles such as What is the Rhogam Rh- Vaccine, Exception Forms, Adverse Side Effects, Vaccines 101: Flu Vaccine Facts, DTaP Vaccines Side Effects, Pregnancy side effects, etc… Her website is childhoodshotdotcom. Thank you again Paleo Mama!

• Matt October 22, 2013 at 3:36 am #

“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet” -Abraham Lincoln, 1864. Sorry Melissa, but your Mary Tocco reference as an “independent researcher” has as much believability as the Lincoln Quote. She seems to lack any formal education, and her only credentials seems to be that she is/was an office manager for her husbands chiropractic office, and her daughter’s “Doctor’s Office”. That seems to be the biggest issue within the anti-vaccine community. Too many Jenny McCarthys spreading misinformation. Looking over Mary’s information, she seems to not understand that correlation does not mean the same as causation (a common mistake). In the end, I would implore you all to take the word of scientific community over that of a woman who has no credentials and seems to be motivated by money (evident by her web site). Just my humble opinion, which in reality is no more useful as Mary’s, as my Masters Degree is in Leadership/Organizational change, not molecular biology.

• Amy October 29, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

This information has been out way before Jenny McCarthy! Infact in debate since the 1700′s! LOL!
        Have you every studied the actual development of childhood disease related to sugar insurgence and the correlation of confectionaries in the 1700′s? Or looked at the historical charts of the actual decline of the diseases before the inoculation was introduced? More people research about the car they buy than the stuff they put their children’s bodies. Educate yourself! Big pharma is about money not molecular biology!

3. Melissa Currie October 23, 2013 at 2:28 am #

I don’t think we need a “formal education” to figure out “common sense”. To tell parents that have lost or damaged children that it’s just coincidence, and to ignore the thousands of mothers (and fathers) that believe the vaccine was what caused the damage to their child borders on evil. If parents want to vaccinate, then that is their choice, but for the ones that don’t, they should have the right to say no, and not be pressured and bullied, and treated like they are uneducated and stupid. There are valid arguments both ways, and we all should be allowed to make informed decisions the way we choose. I don’t think we want to start to talk about who could possibly be motivated by money, as vaccines bring in billions for big pharma, and they are the ones that do most of the testing. Please give us a study that compares completely unvaccinated children compared to those that are. This is something I’m sure will never happen, but really, what else could tell us the truth? Just my humble opinion.

4. Party Box Design October 23, 2013 at 9:20 am #

this is a really good article, I am pro vaccine, but I do think a delayed schedule works well… we did it for our daughter. BUT it only works well if people vaccinate.

• ldh October 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

I was just going to post the same link to that blog. All the photos at the top are scare tactics and I really hate scare tactics, so anyone looking at it objectively, just skip past all that. My favorite is when she gets into her 2nd point, sub-section (c). Sure every case is different, every child is different, and there are absolutely extenuating circumstances (we are in one, in fact – have a child born with a congenital birth defect who is on a delayed schedule), but I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket. ;)

Ultimately, I’d rather a delayed schedule than opting out of vaccinations altogether. Truly. But I do think it important to objectively read both sides of the subject without looking for trigger words or succumbing to scare tactics (because we all know, both sides use them). Hard to do sometimes as a concerned, involved parent. I get it, but still… Objectivity is key.

• Lisa March 9, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

I am the author of that blog entry. Not sure what you mean by “scare tactics.” Those pictures don’t inflate the truth of what’s at stake here; they simply reveal it accurately. Those who choose not to vaccinate because they’re focusing on the minuscule “dangers” of vaccinating are, for whatever reason, completely ignoring the far greater dangers of *not* vaccinating. If those pictures are “scary,” well, that’s simply because the risks of not vaccinating *are scary.*

5. Jg October 23, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Love this! I am in the same boat. What about hep b??

• The Paleo Mama October 23, 2013 at 11:22 am #

We don’t vaccinate against Hep B. Hepatitis B virus is spread by coming into contact with blood, semen, and vaginal secretions and my kids are neither drug addicts or having sex, so we thought it was totally unnecessary!

• Morgan Miles December 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

I do want to let remind you that you cannot control the blood exposure- kids get hurt, they bleed, they touch things. When people start saying my kid doesn’t need it, it worries me, because you cant control them forever. They may someday experiment with drugs… although hopefully not. I have a friend who worked at CPS and a client bit her- and they had HEP B. Thankfully she was vaccinated and did not contract it.

I just hope that people realize that vaccinations were created to save people. And when you choose what not to vaccinate them with, you risk exposing them, and other children/people to these diseases.

• Christina December 16, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

You can contact Hep B in numerous ways- for example children can contract it accidentally if a friend gets hurt and they try to ‘help’ them or are curious about the blood. No one says “I hope my child is a drug addict or a prostitute when they grow up” but the reality is that every drug addict and prostitute is someones child. I’m not saying that you therefore need to vaccinate a baby against Hep B but I do believe that the type of attitude of ‘not my child’ can be a very dangerous thing.

• Stephanie January 22, 2014 at 6:14 am #

If antibodies are successfully formed following Hep B vaccine, it loses efficacy in <10 years. Most vaccines are not life-long protection, many lose efficacy within 4-10 years, boosters are therefore required to maintain vaccine immunity during a lifetime. How many adults in the general population (the "herd") do you think are up to date with all boosters? Hmm?

6. Rachel October 23, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Great information! I have just recently watched “vaccines the greater good” on YouTube. This documentary takes a look at both arguments and is extremely well put together. After research of our own, and watching this video we have decided no longer to vaccinate. I’m a little nervous to tell our pediatrician, but with our youngest we chose slowly and only have done one at a time and the doc was very helpful and understanding. SOOOOO….I pray that conversation goes well!

7. Diana October 23, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Being a mom with kids over 18 even back then I felt there was too many vaccinations too close together. I don’t remember at what age the chicken pox ones were done at (and it was not forced), but both my girls had chicken pox 3 years old and younger. We did the shots just not on schedule, but made sure they had what was required for school. Would never do the flu shot either. Glad you are thinking it through.

8. Sarah Muma October 23, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Going slow is for those that haven’t fully done the research and social conditioning is making them feel some sort of guilt about not vaccinating. If you do the footwork and really spend a year or two delving into the topic. It’s black and white. Vaccines are unnecessary and unsafe.

• WarriorGoddess October 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

Sarah, what a nasty and off-base accusation to make. Obviously the women here that have chosen alternative and/or delayed schedules have done so based on NON-BIASED research on BOTH sides of the issue. For you to discount the work that these mothers have done and imply that in choosing to vaccinate they are just going with the status quo and are harming their children is ludicrous. Since when does it require two years of research to have a credible opinion regarding whether or not to vaccinate? You’re just as bad the people that watch Fox News and treat that as gospel. Stop it.

• Heather October 24, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Wow, how exactly is Fox News relevant here? The only connection I can see is hate! :(

• Erik October 30, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

That’s a broad brush, saying vaccines are unsafe and unnecessary. Vaccination has saved millions of lives and is one of the fundamental bedrocks of medical progress.

• tanea November 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Vaccination has also killed and harmed millions of people.

• tanea November 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Couldnt agree more.

9. Cheryl October 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

I had my first baby in 1981. You are right about the vaccination schedule in those days, but what you may not know is that the polio vaccine was oral. I was more comfortable with a vaccine introduced via the GI tract–which is more like real illness–because the body has some of its own defenses that way. (The oral vaccine had some drawbacks, but I did like that aspect of it.)
    If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn’t even have done the DTP at 2 months, but at least I didn’t have to deal with so many vaccines. (My later kids had a much-delayed schedule.)

10. Cheryl October 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Something to note about the recommended schedule: It may be more than what is actually “required.” Check your department of health website. I have found that they recommend extra shots at birth that aren’t recommended if you start later. Also, some vaccines aren’t really needed for a child who isn’t in daycare.

11. michelle October 23, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

What do u do when u tell them you don’t want the chicken pox vaccine? We have gotten other vaccines but are against the chicken pox one and have been told we can decline until she is ready to go to school then it is mandatory. I don’t think we can claim exemption since we did other ones… is there a way?

• The Paleo Mama October 23, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

You can claim religious exemption. I don’t think you need to explain it. Just fill out the paper work and turn it in.

12. Emily October 23, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

What about the rotavirus vaccine?

• The Paleo Mama October 24, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Emily – with our second child we did not do the rotavirus vaccine. We felt it wasn’t necessary to risk for a virus that causes diarrhea. However, with every vaccine, I encourage you to do your research and choose what you feel comfortable with.

-Jackie

13. Tiffany October 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks for your information. Can you tell me why you choose not to do rotovirus?

14. Shelbi October 25, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

I see that you said IPV or prevnar? Do you do just one and if so when do you do the other?

15. Erik October 30, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

Speaking of the title graphics, is it significant that a flu shot contains formaldehyde?

16. Mahya October 31, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Thank you for your information on this and your suggested delayed schedule. Our family has done some research and, so far, has intuitively gone with a delayed scheduled – only 2 rounds of DTaP at 5 and 7 months. When we told our current pediatrician that we would be “going slow” and only getting one vaccine at a time, she recommended going with Pneumococcal next, stating that this can be a “dangerous sickness” for babies under one year to get. I noticed you don’t have it on your list, or at least not until the 5 year mark. Can you tell me why you decided to wait on that one? Thanks again!

17. Mel November 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

I was wondering why you don’t do the flu shot? I have been trying to decide if we should get it or not?

18. J November 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

First, I want you to know that I very much respect your opinion to take the alternative schedule for vaccinating your children.
    However, I think it is important to point out that Dr. Mercola, who you use as a reference in your article, is well known from misinformation, particularly where vaccines are concerned. I’m not trying to change your mind as to how you go about with your children’s vaccination schedule, as that is not my place. I just think that it is important that some of his misinformation be clarified.

19. djw November 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Finding a balance between bullshit and science isn’t a balance worth finding.

This is obviously better than going without vaccines, but one thing this article lacks is any evidence-based reason to leave your infants and toddlers exposed to dangerous diseases in their first years of life.

Sears is a quack; his book fails all manner of basic scientific tests. He’s cashing in on the fears of anxious parents, and endangering their children in the process:

20. Aimee December 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

I love your blog. I have been reading it for a while now, and I have to say that you definitely have some interesting topics. Thus far this is my second favourite entry next to how you and your husband got out of debt. I never feel the need to comment however, I want to comment on this.
    I grew up in a third world country in Africa, where most mothers can not afford to vaccinate their children and where most of these diseases are seen on a daily basis! I never knew that vaccination can be such a heated debate until a few of my friends here in the US started having babies and started asking me what I thought, and I was dumbfounded cause it never occurred to me that this was an issue as I come from a place where people die due to lack of vaccines and now I find myself in a country where people argue against vaccines that are easily accessible to them!
    Please don’t just think of today! The world is changing and you don’t know the choices your child will make as they grow up. SO do your best to protect them when you can.
    I am saying this because I recently got chicken pox at the age of 30! Apparently, it’s extremely dangerous to get it as an adult, I didn’t have it in my childhood but thankfully, I got vaccinated. The doctors here were astonished by how little effect it had on me as it’s not what they expected, and one of them asked if I was vaccinated as a child to which of course I had to call my mother and she told me yes I was vaccinated and that was my saving grace. Had I not received the chicken pox vaccine it would have been worse. How did I get it you might wonder? I was working in a refugee camp in Uganda with the Congolese refugees as you know that the situation in DRC hasn’t been ideal in the last 15 yrs.
    SO as you debate whether to or not to vaccinate your child , take into the account that even though these diseases are not seen here in the US, you never know where your child will end up as a grown up, the world is getting smaller on a daily basis.
    And please be thankful that regardless how long that list of vaccines seem at least you have access to them.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

21. Jo December 7, 2013 at 7:49 am #

Aimee so well said! The people who are anti-vaccine don’t realize this! Also Paleo Mama I appreciate that you are not telling people to not vaccinate their children as this is very dangerous. However, a few of your comments concerned me. You said you did not vaccinate against Hep B because your kids aren’t drug addicts or having sex. #1 that’s a little insulting towards someone who got it another way. It is also very dangerous to assume your child will never come in to contact with another person’s blood. Please reconsider that choice for the safety of your children. I don’t know if you plan on putting it off temporarily or forever but as Aimee said, you never know where your children will end up as they get older. I worked as a lifeguard all through high school and college and had to deal with blood and feces on more than one occasion. Also, with the chickenpox vaccine, I was a little skeptical about it as well until my 4 yr old had a breakthrough case even though she had been vaccinated. I had a 10 mo old who was not old enough yet and a sister who gets shingles (we are old enough to not have the c pox vaccine and she had it twice when younger). Because my daughter had been vaccinated, her case was mild enough that she did not spread it to the other two. I was so thankful for this as c pox can be very dangerous for infants and shingles are very painful to adults. She also had very little discomfort compared to what my siblings and i went through when we got it. Chickenpox are miserable! And the vaccine does prevent or lessen its effects! Lastly, if you are using a delayed schedule I would not be so kind to those who don’t immunize. Delayed immunization children and those who can’t due to immunosuppression are protected by herd immunity. Those that don’t immunize are putting them at risk! It is not bullying to say so (as one of your other readers said). And the anti-vax movement is based on misinformation that unfortunately is hard to misprove due to ethical restrictions in research (I.e. we can’t intentionally expose a vaccinated and unvaccinated child to disease to see if they really work). And no I am not a biologist I am a statistics teacher. And the “research” and “correlation” are so flawed and misguided, I would fail my students if they wrote a paper based on it!

• The Paleo Mama December 7, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Hey Jo…about the HepB, I mean as a newborn or young baby we aren’t vaccinating against it. As an adult, I’m leaving that decision up to my children if and when they want to get the vaccination.

22. Tawnia December 14, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

If you don’t mind me asking…how much did it cost to check the titers? I checked with my lab and they quoted me $1000 for one test.

• The Paleo Mama December 14, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

It was included in our insurance…so nothing!

23. Christina December 16, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

It is important when making decisions surrounding vaccinations to research what the rates of diseases/outbreaks there are in your local area are since they can greatly vary. Also, if you plan to travel with young children then there are more factors to consider.

The one vaccination that I give my children as early as possible is the pertussis one. I know someone whose 7 week old passed away from it- the mom had passed it on to him when he was born. It was tragic.

24. lisa January 7, 2014 at 10:37 am #

thank you so much for this article. it was just what I needed today. bless you.

I was against all vaccines when my kids were little. It is a long story.

Now my husband and I would like to have them immunized. They are 13 and 15 and have been paleo for three years. For him paleo relieved his IBS symptoms completely and he will never eats non plaeo. For him, paleo relieved her reflux, she has dairy issues, but loves non paleo treats.

I am glad to learn that the probiotics and FCLO will help. That is just the kind of info I was looking for. Do you have any other suggestions for people this age?

I was hoping to have one disease per needle, but it doesn’t look like that is always possible. Do you think I should keep trying for that or let it go? I am hoping to start with Tetnus, I will not be giving my girl the hpv one at all, ever, and they both had chicken pox as toddlers (no big deal) but other than that – I want them to have them all but I am not sure how quickly we should go from the first to the last – a few months, a year? more? (do you have any resources on that?)

thanks,
    lisa

For more Paleo Diet hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/508320/hack-this-my-paleo-15-and-13-year-olds-have-never.html#ixzz2pj7u8JPx
    Follow us: @PaleoHacks on Twitter | PaleoHacks on Facebook

• lisa January 7, 2014 at 10:38 am #

oops sorry about all my typos

25. Jay January 13, 2014 at 11:37 pm #

*pst* We haven’t seen an increase in ASD and ADHD, we have seen an increase in diagnosis due to increased awareness and understanding of autism – also why we are seeing huge increase in adult diagnosis and diagnosis amongst females. Suggesting that ASD is in any way associated with vaccinations is incorrect and undermines what you have to say, suggesting ASD is something to be avoided is also harmful to autistic people. Again, The Paleo Mama showing an element of prejudice.

26. Jevans January 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Excellent article. You are clearly passionate about your children and that makes you a great mom. However, I think mothers should ALWAYS listen to their instinct. It is their greatest tool. Do your du diligence but pay attention to you instincts mothers! They are there for a reason!

27. Amanda January 20, 2014 at 7:42 am #

There is NO debate about this — vaccines are safe and necessary. It is so dangerous to even lend ANY credibility to the idea that we should NOT be vaccinating our children. There is NO credible scientific evidence to show vaccines are not safe, or that the schedule is unsafe. Please, stop spreading this kind of information and STOP giving that argument credibility.

28. Sybil January 20, 2014 at 11:31 am #

My sister works in the ER and recently had a healthy 60 year old woman die from a reaction to the flu shot. To say there are no risks to vaccinations is ignorant and disrespectful to the children who held their mother’s hand while she stopped breathing. There are risks BOTH ways and to pretend there aren’t is to stick your head in the sand.

29. Gordie January 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Penn and Teller tell it more succinctly than I could

30. Kyli January 20, 2014 at 4:55 pm #

Thank you for this. I am newly pregnant and a first time mom and I knew I didn’t want to follow the traditional vaccination chart. I myself don’t get flu shots and am perfectly healthy each winter despite the fact that I have crohns disease. (Doctors say the shot is imperative to my health, It has only ever made me sicker!) ANYWAY, This is such a great starting point and has made me feel a lot less overwhelmed in the vaccination process I will be facing in the coming months. :) thank you so much! I read your blog all the time and its so inspiring!

• The Paleo Mama January 20, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Aww, thanks Kyli!!! Good luck on your pregnancy! I wish you all the best!!

31. Lisa January 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm #

Brave Article. I wish it was a topic friendlier to disscusion. Thanks for writing.

32. Ruth January 21, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

So for those that don’t vaccinate what do you think about very young babies that get whooping cough?

33. Jodi S January 21, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

We choose not to vaccinate. After reading “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children’s Vaccinations” by Dr. Stephanie Cave, M.D., (another balanced view/opinion) we prayed and felt with a clear conscience that we should not proceed with vaccinations. You have to be able to live with your decision either way! The above mentioned book points out how you contract the diseases and the likelihood, etc., based on statistics which always can go different ways based on your own family’s history and genetic makeup. For instance, the likelihood of contracting polio is pretty small considering you contract it through the feces of an infected person. That used to happen more when the polio vaccine was a “live” version, as opposed to what they use now. Hep B is contracted through multiple sexual partners and shared infected drug needles. I figured my newborn is probably not going to need that shot. :) Very interesting stuff. Thanks for writing a fair and balanced article!

34. Nichole January 22, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Thanks for writing this article! I do feel that we have the right to vaccinate our children at a slow pace or not at all. I have two boys 4 and 15 months. When our first son was born my husband wanted to do a shot schedule that only gave one shot at a time. At the time I didn’t really see why it was such a big deal for our son to be on a delayed shot schedule. But I went with it. By the time our second son was born I was much more up to date with all the crazy things that are allowed in our day to day lives. THANK GOODNESS!!! So we did a much slower schedule this time around. We were just recently dropped by our pediatrician because of our alternative shot schedule. I think we pissed him off by not “catching up the little one while we were there for a sick visit” he’s “up to date” to his 6 month shots. We just found an awesome pediatrician who allows us to do it our own way. I just have to check and make sure theirs do not contain the Thimerasol. Thanks for the information!

35. Brittany January 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

A 3 year old in Wisconsin got the measles from a trip to the Philippines. No treatment exists for the measles. It is highly contagious by airborne droplet – 90% of children who are exposed (meaning in the same room, or come into contact with a surface 2 hours after an infected person did) get measles. Wisconsin is close enough to our community health center in MN that I spent part of my day coming up with an exposure plan if someone presented to the clinic with obvious symptoms (i.e. fever, rash, cough). I just hope if that ever happened, that our low-income child patients who are likely behind on their vaccination schedule aren’t in the clinic that day. We can do the best to quarantine the ill person, and you can vaccinate a person 72 hours after exposure…….BUT measles isn’t always diagnosed correctly because younger doctors have never come across it, especially if it presents before the rash develops (contagious 5 days before the rash develops) or without a rash. Just keep in mind that the part of the reason that we have “choice” to vaccinate is because we immunized enough people in our country to effectively wipe these diseases out. Just because you don’t plan to travel where some of these diseases are still very prevalent (and deadly) doesn’t mean that you could inadvertently come in contact with a very contagious person or come into contact with a surface that a very contagious person sneezed, coughed or rubbed their nose and then touched 2 hours after they left the area.
    Also I would like to remind everyone that health care professionals are also recommended to have a Hep B series as well. I don’t do IV drugs and I don’t have reckless, unprotected sex, BUT I am a registered nurse who comes into contact with other people’s bodily fluids on a regular basis. Despite the best intentions, accidental needle sticks happen.
    I get the flu shot because I have watched many patients (especially last year which was an awful year for the flu) die from the flu after refusing the flu shot. (Many who had the flu shot still got the flu, but severity and duration were reduced.)
    I took care of a gentleman in his 60s who was confined to a wheelchair from the age of 6 years old because he contracted Polio. He was brilliant and very successful, but if given the “choice” he would have gotten the vaccine.
    I got the chickenpox in second grade. Wish they would’ve had that vaccine around when I was a kid. Miserable for a month.
    I’ve watched babies in the hospital cough to the point where their faces turned blue, and I thought their eyes were going to pop out of their skull. Spending a week in the hospital with a very young baby who has pertussis is extremely terrifying for parents, especially when it can be touch and go….and just when you think your little one is recovering they make a turn for the worse and are suddenly gone.
    My point being, it doesn’t just happen to “somebody else” or people who “live far away”. These heartbreaking illnesses exist, and we have the means completely prevent them.
    Yes, a reaction from a vaccination could occur. Anything foreign that enters our body can cause a reaction whether it be food, what’s drifting along in the air we breathe, fabrics, medications, bacteria, bees, viruses. Yes, you are taking a very small chance that your child could have a reaction to a vaccine, but you’re taking that same risk by simply being alive out in the world.

• angie February 15, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Well said brittany,
      I vaccinated both of my kids, and I am a firm believer. So many people don’t have a choice and we are fortunate enough to get to “choose”
      I just remember my grandma being astounded at the things they could vaccinate for and her telling me that she wishes that she had those options when she was little.

Lastly, my husband and I spent a week with my oldest in the hospital when she was four months old. She was dehydrated from the flu and had an iv in her head for four days. Some of the worst of my life as a mom. Her doctor wouldn’t say that the flu vax would’ve prevented it (she was too young to receive it) but I can’t help but think that maybe she would have at least not been sick enough to need a week long hospitialization.

36. Billie February 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

I’m sorry, but a mother’s instinct is no substitution for science and “doing the research” or reading blogs and magazines is no substitute for actual, real scientific research. The “my kid doesn’t have sex” excuse for no HepB shot is just as bad as not educating teens about sex because they won’t do it until they are married philosophy. Seriously people, it is a very large world, mostly things happen that we can’t control, anti intellectualism is a serious threat to public health.

37. Comfreya February 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

An excellent article. Have you ever heard or considered using homeoprophylaxis? It is an incredibly safe and superior alternative to vaccinating. This is the method I am currently using with my toddler. More info here: http://freeandhealthychildren.com/2014/02/10/benefits-of-homeoprophylaxis/

38. Allie March 18, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Thank you for the informative post! My husband and I have really been struggling with the decisions about shots. One that you didn’t mention, and maybe it’s because it’s not technically a vaccine is the vitamin k shot most newborns get. Just wondering your thoughts on that. Thanks!!!

• The Paleo Mama March 19, 2014 at 9:52 am #

Personally, I do not feel the Vitamin K is necessary in girls and uncircumcised boys.

• Allie March 19, 2014 at 10:10 am #

Thanks!!!

39. Vanessa March 26, 2014 at 2:48 am #

Thank you for this! I came across an article on Pinterest about vaccinations and started doing a ton of research, most of which scared me to death. And my 4 month old has his pediatrician appt & I started doing this accidental research at 11 pm & felt way overwhelmed. But I think this is what I’m going to do and I feel much less stressed. With my two year old we did a delayed schedule but with two shots at a time and we did that at my son’s two month old appt. but after all my research I am hating vaccines & thought that 2 at a time might be too much. Those babies are so tiny and they seriously bombard their immune systems with too much. But I also don’t think I could just not do them at all. So I love the idea of one at a time, thanks for the schedule so I can show our pediatrician what I’m talking about.

40. Sarah April 19, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Have you experienced any struggles as your children started going to school doing the alternative schedule? I have heard that the religious exemption doesn’t work well when you agree to some and not others?

• The Paleo Mama April 22, 2014 at 9:00 am #

I have not yet. My kids are younger and not in public school

41. Bekah May 26, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

Could you explain the IPV or Prevnar at 24 and 27 months, please? Thank you!

42. rachel June 24, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Thank God for your advice! So many aren’t educated about vaccines and I believe the gov.is not taking care of us like they should. Please keep on sharing this info!

43. PT June 29, 2014 at 9:34 am #

We are acting on a delayed scheduled as well, but a question for you…regarding the MMR (specifically measles – some uptick in cases have been happening in the US this year), what are some things you do to “protect” your children who have not yet had it, but will be around the general public who can be carriers and spread it? It is not possible to know who/what our kids are exposed to on a daily basis from other children/adults and it is impossible to keep them home for three years! Thank you for your suggestions.

44. Michelle July 23, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

I was wondering if the maltodextrin, traces of milk and soy worries you at all about the Udo’s Choice probiotic linked in your article? Also, people say that it doesn’t come refrigerated from Amazon and it should always be refrigerated. I am really interested in giving probiotics to my son (going to be born in September) but am having such a hard time knowing which supplement is best and am a little overwhelmed with the research! Any information would be helpful! Thank you!

45. Tosca August 4, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

Thank you for the article. I’m pregnant, and reading a lot about this issue. Before becoming pregnant I had never considered this issue to be in question. I was just pro-vaccine, and thought that there was a lot of hype around anti-vaccination. I recognize the validity of the arguments that one must not equate correlation and causality and that an increase in diagnoses is probably contributing to increases in “autism, ADD/ADHD, allergies, asthma, and chronic illness”. I also disagree with people who say that there is NO evidence that vaccines and their ingredients can be linked to this. I’ve seen evidence cited. There does appear to be some risk for people, and there are documented vaccine reactions. They are somewhat rare, and having a big picture mentality is certainly a valid point of view. However, if they were to happen to my baby, other people decrying the importance of herd immunity would be insufficient consolation, I’m afraid. I would want to see the research machine engaged, the concern validated, and a screening process developed that would help prevent adverse reactions. That is hardly too much to ask.

I will probably take the slow boat with my child just because of the absence of such screening, recognizing that there are risks inherent in either path. Family history does seem to be an indicator, but by no means a deterministic one. Of course, I recognize that if I were to travel with my baby I would probably need to modify the schedule or delay that travel until the schedule is completed. It also makes sense that this is a problem that relates to living in a developed country, but that doesn’t seem like a compelling argument against considering health trends related to vaccines.

Many people who claim evidence-based speak very disparagingly of others for even questioning the CDC’s vaccination schedule and ignore any evidence that does not support their claims. I would like to say that this is probably the single greatest factor in convincing me to consider the anti-vaccination argument. “Those-people are-morons-and-they’re-endangering-us-all” flavored arguments have a tone that I find disturbing and narrow-minded.

What I am doing is compiling a spreadsheet of newborn interventions and vaccinations and making decisions based on having reviewed pro and con arguments and discussing each with my husband and some other people who influence me. I decided to do the Vitamin K shot, and this is the “pro” argument that influenced me.

46. Redmond Jennings August 5, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

This is great! No longer will parents have to choose between the medical advice of doctors and Jenny McCarthy. Now they can split the difference!