Notice: Undefined variable: pm_service_hiddens in /nas/content/live/thepaleomama/wp-content/plugins/plugmatter_featurebox_pro/class.email_services.php on line 100

Welcome to The Paleo Mama! Grab my free eBook below!

• Create a chemical-free home by using simple and cheap ingredients! It's FREE!

Soothing Elixir to Boost Immunity

The moment I feel myself getting the sniffles, I grab a few lemons, some ginger, some green tea, cinnamon, and some local, raw honey and I make myself this Soothing Elixir to boost my immune system. It’s so deeply nourishing and easy to make.

You can make it in the crockpot and let it simmer all day, ladle a hot glass when you want, or you can make it on the stovetop. Either way works great and there are many “add-ins” you can put it in to add more nutrition.

Soothing Elixir for Colds and Flu

Ingredients:

_MG_8112

Instructions:

1. Pour the water in a pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Add the lemons, ginger, tea bags, and cinnamon sticks. Cover and let steep for 20-30 minutes.
  3. Pour the apple cider vinegar into a pitcher or a large half gallon mason jar .
  4. Dump the tea into the mason jar. You can keep the lemons and ginger in, but remove the tea bags.
  5. When ready to drink, warm up, and add in a teaspoon or two of raw honey.
  6. OPTIONAL Add-ins: tumeric, coconut oil, and gelatin.

elixir1

, , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Soothing Elixir to Boost Immunity

1. Kerry November 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I needed this a couple weeks ago! Bookmarking this for the future.

2. Alison November 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

How long will this save?

• The Paleo Mama November 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

I’ve let mine go near a week in the fridge and it was still fine.

• Anna Moon October 8, 2015 at 10:28 pm #

Allison, I’m an avid fermenter. If you use live vinegar (that has mother floating around in it) the tea mixture could begin to ferment immediately. Which is not a bad thing (the acid from the lemon may kill the mother though, not sure) If you see a little clear circle begin to form on the top of the mixture that means it is growing it’s own colony of bacteria and yeast (which makes it even more healthy.) I keep a jar of chopped up lemons (rinds and juice) covered in honey in my fridge from late summer through winter (the honey will begin to break down the lemons and it makes for a wonderful addition to hot water for sore throats and flu season remedy.) I can’t imagine adding the other ingredients would change its longevity. Because all the items are considered natural just use the taste test to tell when it’s become a little too vinegary (from fermentation process.)

3. Geneva Hall December 1, 2013 at 12:46 am #

how much Tumeric do I used it did not say

4. Geneva Hall December 1, 2013 at 12:51 am #

and can I used powder ginger in this drink I don’t have the whold ginger and how much to used

• Anna Moon October 8, 2015 at 10:20 pm #

In my opinion, no. Fresh ginger has so many wonderful healing properties when it’s fresh I can’t imagine using any other form. If you’ve never had a warm ginger tea with lemon and honey in the winter… OH my… mmmmm. Between us… warm ginger tea saved my life last winter – literally. While visiting my dad for the winter (and leaving my albuterol at home) I suffered recurrent asthma attacks from the many triggers in his home and around the area. I bought some fresh ginger and steeped it with hot water. The tea instantly opened my airways. I survived because of my dad’s raw honey and the fresh ginger tea. Don’t skimp on the fresh ginger. 🙂

5. Amy December 4, 2013 at 11:55 am #

Do not add raw honey to any heated drink as it will destroy it’s good properties. Just eat a teaspoon with some cinnamon right from the jar.

• Anna Moon October 8, 2015 at 10:13 pm #

Good point, Amy! Also, don’t add the tea to the Bragg vinegar until it comes to room temp because too hot of temperature will kill the bacteria and yeast (the only reason live raw vinegar is used.)

6. Christine December 5, 2013 at 12:01 am #

This sounds wonderful! From the way the recipe is written it sounds like you intend the options to be part of the final product, just before drinking. Is it intended that the essential oil and gelatin are used together?

7. Genene December 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

How palatable is it? Will kids willingly drink it? Drink it on a full tummy – or does it matter?

8. Tory February 8, 2014 at 7:18 pm #

I made this yesterday and it was fantastic! I added coconut oil and tumeric. However, after it sat in the jar for a few hours, the next drink was very, very strong. Next time, I’m going to just have the liquid in the jar and remove the lemons and ginger.

9. Lori October 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

I’m going to add garlic to mine, what about leaving out for awhile and letting it ferment.

10. carolina December 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

I didn’t finish reading the instructions and added the apple cider vinegar and all the ingredients and simmered. Is that ok? Or am I not supposed to heat the apple cider? Thxs.

• Anna Moon October 8, 2015 at 10:37 pm #

Heating the apple cider vinegar or adding the tea mixture before it has cooled off will kill the ‘mother’ in the vinegar. Live vinegar is good for the intestinal track (among other things.)

11. debi mart May 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm #

Working great, I am feeling so much better

12. Amanda French July 15, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

How long does this keep? Do you stock up on ingredients before flu season?

• Jackie Ritz July 16, 2015 at 8:22 am #

It will last 2-3 months or more. I stock up just before cold and flu season so I am prepared.

13. Amanda September 20, 2015 at 1:10 am #

ohh I just made this and I got a little throw happy and put the apple cider at the same time …. Will this matter? Oopsy

14. Aliyanna October 6, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

I always add mustard and garlic and sometimes cayenne. This reminds me of Fire cider, but different and sounds good. I mix my fire cider 50/50 with tomato….a spicey V-8! haha

15. Anna Moon October 8, 2015 at 10:38 pm #

Jackie thanks for posting you’ve inspired me to get going on my winter concoctions! 🙂 Such a smart combo…

16. Keegan November 16, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

Hello! Thanks so much for this post. I’m excited to try it. Do you keep it in the refrigerator or on the counter top?

• Jackie Ritz November 17, 2015 at 9:31 am #

Because of the fresh lemon and ginger, I recommend keeping it in the frig. You can warm it up when needed.

17. Giada December 17, 2015 at 6:30 am #

Hi!
    I’m doing this right now, as I can’t get rid off the cold I have. I don’t understand when I have to add the vinegar… Can you please clarify this for me? And when the coconut oil, and how much?
    Thanks a lot
    Giada

• Jackie Ritz December 17, 2015 at 7:32 am #

You put the apple cider vinegar in the pitcher or large jar just before you pour the tea into the jar. The coconut oil is an add-in if you want it, and I’d suggest just 1 Tsp, which you add to each cup when you warm it up to drink.

18. Emily March 18, 2016 at 5:52 pm #

Does it need refrigerated or can it stay on the self?