The months of August and September bring the figs into ripening. Though a fig is beautifully satisfying on it’s own, I must say that when it is reduced down and thickened into homemade fig jam, the taste of it is deeply comforting.
In the peak of summer, this recipe will have you yearning for that first bit of autumn, crisp air and entertaining the thought of your little ones snuggled under homemade afghans next to your first autumn crackling fire.
However, until the heat subsides and the coolness of fall relieves of all, we can enjoy these Balsamic Fig Jam recipe and wait on the seasons to change and bring with it a new harvest to delight in.
Fig Jam does not have to be loaded with sugar for it to taste delicious. I like to enjoy the natural sweetness of fruit without masking the flavor with white sugar, like so many homemade jam recipes do. I have found raw honey to be a perfect compliment to jam recipes. I, also, chose to preserve the jam the traditional way by using fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Preserving the fig jam with lemon juices ensures that the figs beautiful color stays true and preserves their freshness.
Balsamic Fig Jam
Pectin & Refined Sugar Free
Makes One Delightful Pint
- 2lbs of Fig, stems removed and cut into fourths
- 1/2- 3/4 cup of raw honey
- Zest and Juice of One Lemon
- Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
- Wash figs, cut stems off, and slice into fourths.
- Toss figs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey (choose amount of honey according to your taste) into a pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes, stirring often, until it thickens. As figs soften, use a potato masher, or a whisk, to mash the figs.
- About 15 minutes into the thickening, add a generous splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Once the mixture thickens to your liking, remove from heat and cool.
- Optional: if you prefer the jam to be less chunky, process in a food processor for a few pulses.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month!
*I love this Almond Bread with it. It’s nutty and the sweetness of the Balsamic Fig Jam compliment it perfectly. *