Notice: Undefined variable: pm_service_hiddens in /nas/content/live/thepaleomama/wp-content/plugins/plugmatter_featurebox_pro/class.email_services.php on line 100

Welcome to The Paleo Mama! Grab my free eBook below!

• Create a chemical-free home by using simple and cheap ingredients! It's FREE!

40 Days of Gluten Free School Lunches

40dayslunch

It’s about that time again! School is starting, or has started for a lot of you. Sending healthy gluten free school lunches with your child is COMPLETELY possible. Let me show you 40 photos of my kid’s healthy gluten free school lunches that I have collected! I guess I should disclose that my family is not 100% Paleo…you will see a few things that fall in our 20% non-Paleo, like dairy, Nut Thins, and some rice. However we do try to stay completely gluten-free.  I hope you get some ideas and enjoy packing healthy gluten-free school lunches for your kids!

Like the lunchbox? Get it here!

lunch1

Farm fresh egg, spinach and tomato salad with evoo/balsamic dressing, sauerkraut, and a Aidell’s chicken sausage

Broccoli, olives, apples sprinkled with cinnamon dipped in raw honey, leftover crockpot chicken, and apricots

Tangerine, carrots, ham roll ups, Kerrygold cheese, banana chips and raw honey, and a apricot leather heart!

Lacto-Paleo lunch: carrots w/evoo and vinegar dip, grapes, cottage cheese with blueberries, ham roll ups, and 2 chocolate covered almonds <2

Lacto-Paleo lunch: carrots w/evoo and vinegar dip, grapes, cottage cheese with blueberries, ham roll ups, and 2 chocolate covered almonds<2

lunch5

Grapes and carrots, plantain chips, apples w/cinnemon, and a homemade (grain free) chicken nugget

lunch6

Grapes, blueberries, fruit rope, “monster eggs” (Brussel sprouts), turkey and mustard, and 2 choc covered almonds!

lunch7

Boiled egg, olives, raspberries, grapes, trail bar, and Fauxtato salad

lunch8

Apples, Nut Thins, cherry fruit leather, Pistacchios, and boiled shrimp w/ketchup! Someone is gonna be so happy to see shrimp ♥

lunch9

Paleo Pumpkin Muffin, tangerine, Nori(seaweed) chips, PaleoKit*, and dark chocolate! PaleoKit: amzn.to/1173LBr

lunch10

Lunch on a stick (and Arianna’s surprise caught on camera): olives, hormone free hot dog, and olives!

lunch11

Fruit leather, strawberries, leftover chicken to dip in mustard, cucumbers, and Enjoy Life choc chips

lunch12

Strawberries, turkey and cheese pinwheels, olives and tomatoes, applesauce, and Enjoy Life choc chips!

lunch13

Cheese, strawberries, cantaloupe, olives, leftover pork, and choc chips

lunch16

Nut & fruit mix, carrots w/oil & vinegar dip, apples, PBJ on Food for Life almond bread,  and dark chocolate chips

lunch17

Blueberries, carrots w/PB dip, Nut Thins, Cherry Tomatoes, Apricot fruit leather hearts, and a Sandwich on a Stick

lunch18

Trail mix, olives and tomatoes, plantain chips, turkey roll ups, and dark chocolate dessert!

lunch19

Carrots and natural PB, ham and cheese rollups, olives and grape tomatoes, apples and chocolate :)

lunch20

Genoa salami, olives with oil and vinegar dip, blueberry stuffed strawberries, grapes, cottage cheese, and cashew Lara bar

lunch21

Summer sausage, farm egg, carrots and natural PB, clementine, natural applesauce, and 2 pieces of dk chocolate for a treat!

lunch25

Boiled farm egg, cherry tomatoes, pepperoni and Applegate Hot dog, Ants on a Log, cottage cheese with grapes, and fruit leather stars!

lunch26

Carrot chips, blueberries, grapes, sandwich roll ups, cottage cheese and a fruit stick

lunch27

Special Easter lunch

lunch28

Meatball, Nuthins, Medjool dates, pistachios, blueberries, apples, applesauce w/cinnamon on top and some fruit leather stars for a treat!

lunch29

Blueberry/coconut protein ball, pecans, cantaloupe, salami & ham roll, carrots, Icelandic yogurt, and fruit rope for dessert!

lunch31

Farm egg, cherry tomatoes, carrots and almond butter, Nut Thins, dates, ham and roast beef roll ups, and cookie for desert!

lunch32

Turkey, ham, pep pinwheel, cherry tomatoes, braised green beans, blueberry Icelandic yogurt, oranges, and 2 fruit leather hearts for a treat!

lunch33

Marinated roasted beets, chicken stuffed ham rolls, veggie straws, pears and carrots, and chocolate chips for a treat!

lunch34

Edamame, turkey rolls, olives & strawberries, pineapple, apples, and buckeye for a treat!

lunch35

Cherry tomatoes with dip, carrots and celery, Nut Thins, raisins, pistachios, olives and hot dog on a stick, and a cookie for a treat!

lunch36

Ham roll-ups, Veggie Sticks, walnuts, raisins, Nut Thins, cherry tomatoes, and kiwi!

lunch37

Cherry tomatoes, olives, oil and vinegar dip, Nut Thins, pistachios, kiwi, pepperoni, chicken rolls, and a cookie for dessert!

lunch38

Orange slices, olives, boiled egg, Nut Thins & pepperoni, Ants on a Log, and mini chocolate chips for dessert!

lunch39

Blueberries, clementines, edamame, tuna salad inside Nut Thins, homemade Greek yogurt topped with maple syrup and raisins and surrounded by walnuts, and a mini Hershey bar for dessert!

lunch40

Rolled ham, cherry tomatoes with evoo and balsamic dip, dill pickles, raisins, and cottage cheese (Primal)

real 1

Olives, blueberries, banana, fruit leather hearts and AB on an Ezekiel Tortilla

real2

Fresh berries, boiled farm egg, olives, fruit leather & raisins, pistacchios, and a PB rice cake smiley face :)

realfood4

Simple lunch: cantaloupe, carrots, and roasted turkey leg

realfood5

Italian Mobster: turkey roll ups, olives, green beans and peas

realfood6

Mommy/daughter lunch date 🙂 Olives, Pistachios, steak, tomatoes, cucumbers, oil and vinegar dip, and Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.

realfood7

Foods and Items I frequently used:

On days you want to send HOT leftovers, I recommend this Thermos to keep it hot till lunchtime!

Like this post? Give it a +1 on Google+ for me! Thanks!

Shared on: Tasty Traditions, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Thank Your Body, Natural Family Today, Old Fashioned Friday, Girl Meets Nourishment, and Holistic Squid

, , , , , , ,

58 Responses to 40 Days of Gluten Free School Lunches

1. jen August 29, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Love, love, love this! I’m always thankful for healthy, gf lunch ideas. Do you find that the PlanetBox keeps everything in its place? I’d like to save up and buy some for my kids asap. I have not tried Lunch Bots, either, but have a few knockoffs and it did not go well…at all. Also, best advice for keeping it all cold without sending a back pack sized lunch bag? I’ve been using insulated lunch bags with ice pack and countless reusable containers. My kids don’t even take much food but space is a big issue. Thanks for this wonderful post and helpful info 🙂

• The Paleo Mama August 29, 2013 at 11:50 am #

Glad you like them! The PlanetBox comes with an icepack that slides in next to the box. The case is insulated and keeps it nice and cold! The set is awesome…we have 3 of them now! One of each kind that they sell. I’m in love with them. They keep me creative! And yes, everything stays in it’s place!

• jamie February 9, 2014 at 10:44 am #

I noticed the lunch box you use has more compartments then the one you have linked at the bottom of the page. I tried searching amazon for one with the additional compartments, but couldn’t find one. Do you know if they don’t sell that one anymore or maybe there is a different link I can check out?

• jamie February 9, 2014 at 10:46 am #

never mind! I found it by searching planet box!

• Jenny August 21, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

Hi, i love your web site! My son is almost 9, the school lunch options you share, might be not enough for the school day. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you! 🙂

• Amy August 29, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

I’ve been putting my son’s Planetbox in the refrigerator overnight to get the stainless steel nice and cold per a suggestion on their Facebook page. Doing that along with an ice pack in the insulated bag seems to work really well.

2. Amy August 29, 2013 at 11:57 am #

Thank you so much for sharing! My son just entered Kindergarten and I pack his Planetbox everyday. Sometimes it is hard to come up with new ideas, so I appreciate this post! One question though….I don’t put as much food in my son’s lunch as what is shown in your pictures. Does your child eat everything you pack or are their leftovers? It’s making me wonder if I should pack my son more to eat!

• The Paleo Mama August 29, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

Most the time she eats most of it. Sometimes there is some leftover…which becomes her afternoon snack.

• Mo April 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

I was just thinking that I would have the opposite problem. My 14-year old has recently volunteered to go GF because I have had a positive experience with it, and we hope it helps control his acne and ADD. This *might* be enough food for a snack for him, but he’d need about three times this much food for a meal. Aw, the miracle of growing!

3. jmr August 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

I saw your link at KellytheKitchenKop. This is brilliant. Thank you so much.

4. jen August 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Thank you 🙂 I’ll be checking out the product and following their page for tips. I’m excited to try them out!

5. Tamara (Mom Is A Basket Case) September 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

I’ve been looking for lunch ideas for me since I am wanting to go Paleo. There are a couple of things that I cannot have, such as tree nuts (which eliminates Nut Thins) but by using a recipe for Paleo crackers and subbing sunflower seeds, I’ll have plenty of great lunches and won’t feel deprived! Thank you so much for these awesome ideas! I’ve pinned this as well!

6. willowsprite September 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Love these lunches…except for the cold steak. 😉
    Wish our school allowed nuts though, it’s hard to come up with protein sources when he doesn’t like cold eggs. Speaking of – to avoid the blue ring around the yolk – bring eggs in cold water to the boil, take off the heat source and set the timer for 10 minutes. Perfect hard boiled eggs every time, creamy yolks, no rubbery texture or blue ring!

• The Paleo Mama September 7, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Thank you! I am terrible at peeling farm fresh eggs. They look butchered after I have my hands on them!

• willowsprite September 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

It won’t make them easier to peel. I have that problem too and usually just end up breaking them in half and scooping the halves out with a spoon. Not so handy for lunch boxes though.

• willowsprite September 12, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Just came across this and had to come back and share!

• Cindy June 23, 2015 at 5:57 am #

For easier peeling of my farm fresh eggs I steam them. I set them over boiling water for 16 min (high altitude). After taking them off the heat, let them set for about 5 min. Cool them in cold water right away. Notice I said easier… You’ll always have one rebellious one!

• Jen January 4, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

As soon as your 10 minutes are up, pull the eggs out and submerge them in ice water, to stop them from cooking.

7. elisa October 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Hi, these are very helpful ideas, but I do have one question. Are the hot dogs and other meats are sent cold?

• The Paleo Mama October 10, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Yes, I do send them cold. Who says meats have to be eaten hot?! haha, my kid doesn’t seem to care!

8. Denise November 21, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

This is wonderful, I drive all day for work and pack my lunches. This is the hardest part of sticking to my diet restrictions. Using school lunch ideas for me!

9. Ruth November 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Great ideas! How do you keep the apple slices from turning brown?

10. Jessica December 17, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

How do you get your kids to eat so healthy? Mine (ages 2, 4, and 6) choose not eating over eating the healthy foods I give them. I have always cooked healthy and I eat Paleo ~90+% of the time. Yet my kids don’t eat!! I followed all the “rules” – made my own baby food from organic, introduced vegetables and fruits first, offered a wide, colorful variety, got the kids involved in planning and selecting, etc. I keep “treats” to a minimum at special occasions rather than avoiding completely and in every situation. But healthy foods always are a prerequisite in those situations. I’m so frustrated!

11. Denise January 4, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

WOW! Such awesome ideas! I think my kids would also eat most of that stuff too. Thanks for posting this! I’m always at a loss as to what to feed my 7 yr. old gf boy for school lunches and I tend to get in the ‘same-old, same-old’ rut. He looked at these with me and seemed pretty excited about a lot of them. Now I just have to save some pennies to get those PlanetBox’s! I really love them over a plain lunchbox/bag, but they’re pricey.

• kimberly February 11, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

If you google planet box coupons. I have found a $5 & $10 coupons, not a huge savings but it helps.

12. Sarah January 27, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

What’s your grain free chicken nugget recipe??

13. Millie February 22, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I need to do something like this for MY lunches. Also, I really love the container. These are fantastic!

14. Candy February 24, 2014 at 9:01 am #

Awesome, thanks. Maybe I am blind, but you have this in list form for quick reference and grocery list making?

15. Vanessa March 31, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

Thank you so much for this diet! My son is Autistic & due to sensory issues they put him on a glucose free diet!!! I LOVE THESE OPTIONS!!!

16. Grimm May 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

OMG! I am sooooooo glad I found your post! With a 2 yr old that has just started wanting to try new foods (not the SAME old toddler fodder) I am always scouting new lunch ideas for her. This is soooo helpful I bookmarked this post for times I am in need of ideas.

Thanks again for the fab pictures!

17. Alli May 31, 2014 at 11:14 am #

needed some inspiration to keep my kids lunches gluten free. Thanks for these creative ideas.

18. The Holistic Coeliac June 10, 2014 at 12:08 am #

I love this post. It is absolutely amazing to see how creative you are and there are some wonderful ideas that I will be using for myself.

19. Heat July 14, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

Some really great suggestions. However, most schools do not permit any peanuts nor treenuts in lunches or snacks.
    As a mom of a peanut/treenut allergic child, I would strongly encourage everyone to please leave these items out of your lunch plans.

20. Leann August 10, 2014 at 7:00 pm #

I love this! Thank you for all of the ideas. I especially love the Easter lunch.

21. Eve August 24, 2014 at 9:45 am #

Wish you had this in a PDF that we could download. I try to save it to print and it gives me 60 pages with only one lunch per page.

22. christina October 5, 2014 at 9:41 am #

Thank you so much for all your ideas and your photos! We just moved my 4yo over to gluten free a few weeks ago and I’ve been struggling with ideas! This helped so much!

23. Michelle November 18, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

Nutthins and a little dairy save the day at my house. We are getting back on the paleo wagon after a two year hiatus…it’s rough! But mostly just for my husband, lol!

24. Leana November 21, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

I find it hard to believe that the lunch would still look so nice after being carried vertical in a backpack. Cottage cheese would slide to one side of the bowl and the blueberry face would be gone. Wouldn’t it? Tell me I’m wrong!

25. Lisa November 22, 2014 at 8:35 am #

I would love to be able to use some of these ideas but I am so stumped with what to send to school. Our list of what not to send includes citrus, all nuts, eggs, dairy, gluten, legumes, fish and shellfish. Working on what to send, if anyone has ideas I would love some help…thanks!

26. Julia December 5, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Fruits are veggies are nutritious, I seem to see quite a bit of processed food, especially meat.

27. Robert December 16, 2014 at 6:07 am #

Hi ,

Great post, thank you for sharing. Where did you get the sectioned metal lunch box?

Thanks again,

Robert

28. tania January 6, 2015 at 11:00 am #

Loved this post! Thanks so much, I have a little one going to grade 1 and I really want her to benefit from good nutrition at school as well.
    I never have a big enough variety of lunch stuff in the house but with your ideas I can compile a shopping list and meal plan and start having fun with it!

29. Julie January 27, 2015 at 6:51 pm #

same here. my kids lunch boxes stay in their bags all day

30. chat rencontre bruxelles March 3, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

Yes! Finally someone writes about rencontre ottawa.

31. site rencontre marié quebec March 21, 2015 at 1:34 pm #

You should take part in a contest for one of the best sites on the net.
    I most certainly will recommend this website!

32. rencontre adultere March 26, 2015 at 3:31 am #

I don’t know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your site.

It appears as if some of the written text within your content are
    running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback
    and let me know if this iss happening to them as well? This might be a issuee with my web browser because I’ve
    had tis happen previously. Kudos

33. comment devenir riche sans travailler July 15, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

Thanks for finally talking about >40 Days of Gluten Free School Lunches – The Paleo Mama <Loved it!

34. Stephanie July 29, 2015 at 9:26 am #

These are amazing! Love the special Easter lunch! Thank you for giving me some great ideas!

35. revenu complémentaire August 17, 2015 at 2:04 am #

Hello I am so glad I found your website, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic
    post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it
    and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I wilol
    be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb job.

36. Kirsten Toyne August 18, 2015 at 6:00 pm #

Thank you for this. I can see you have put a lot of work into it and it is really beneficial. I would love one of those boxes for my son but they are so costly and we are in the Uk. We do love the lunchbots boxes though. We have loads.

37. Barbara in Calif August 28, 2015 at 6:53 am #

I couldn’t find a shopping list so I had to take 15 min. copy/pasting to notepad then putting on my iPhone notes app. Did a miss seeing a shopping list of the yummy food ideas, ya’ll?

38. Lydia November 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm #

Was looking for different ideas for my lunches and thought great for me. Awesome.