50 Healthy Foods Found at Costco for CHEAP!

Want to learn more about essential oils, but not sure how to start? Try my FREE Essential Oil QuickStart guide and get 10 days of lessons delivered to your email inbox for 10 days.  (order here) ...no strings attached!

costco paleo mama

YAY!!! There is finally a Costco near me now!! I have heard so many great things about the organic choices that Costco offers, but we didn’t have one near us in Georgia. Since we moved to Florida, I have 3 Costco’s near me!!! So, I went hunting today to see what they had to offer and I found a TON of great things.I’m going to list what I found and the price, but, keep in mind, that most of these are the organic option or other Paleo-worthy items.  There are much, much more non-organic options too that I did not take the time to write down.

Here’s 50 REAL food, Paleo, food items I found:

1. Kerrygold Butter: 3/8oz bars for $6.79 ***Make a Bulletproof Coffee with Kerrygold***
  2. Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese: 2.18lbs for $12.99
  15. Organic Broccoli: 4/1lb for $6.49
  16. Organic Butter Sticks: 2/1lb for $7.69
  17. Mayorga Organic Coffee Whole Beans: 2lbs for $13.99
  18. Organic Carrot Juice 100%: 2/1 liters for $8.59
  19. POM Juice: $8.99
  20. Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: 54oz for ONLY $15.99
  21. Organic Quinoa: 4lb for $8.79 (yes this is Paleo “gray” food but it is a seed)
  22. Organic Blue Agave: 2/36oz for $9.99 (however I don’t suggest using Agave)
  23. Organic Honey: 2/24oz for $8.99
  24. Organic Maple Syrup: 1 liter for $13.99
  25. MaraNatha Roasted Almond Butter: 26oz for $6.29
  26. Organic Golden Flax Seed: 48oz for $7.99
  27. Organic Diced Tomatoes: 8/15oz for $5.99
  28. Organic Stewed Tomatoes: 8/15oz for $5.99
  29. Organic Tomato Paste: 12/6oz for $5.99
  30. Sun-Dried Unsulphured Figs: 40oz for $9.79
  31. Organic Sugar: 10lb for $8.99 (KOMBUCHA users!)
  32. Whole Almonds: 48oz for $12.79
  45. Pistachios: 48oz for $15.79
  46. Mateo’s Gourmet Salsa (no sugar): 32oz jar for $6.49
  47. GoGo Squeez Apple Sauce: 16/3.2oz pouches for $4.69
  48. Kirkland Steak Jerky (gluten-free): 12oz bag for $8.99
  49. Organic Spices for cheap. Too many to list
  50. Organic Cage Free Eggs: 2 dozen for $5.99

That’s it! These are the BEST real food, Paleo deals I found and the price is amazing! The membership is $55 for the year and, definitely, worth it!

costco paleo mama vertical

Like this post??? Could you give it a +1 on Google+? Thanks!!!

Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, psychological, or psychiatric problem, or a disability that requires medical attention, then you should consult your licensed medical doctor or appropriate health care provider. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

, , , , , , ,

158 Responses to 50 Healthy Foods Found at Costco for CHEAP!

1. Stacy February 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Great post! If you’re not already on our guest post line-up could you e-mail us to get on the schedule? You’ve been rockin’ it lately :)

Stacy

• The Paleo Mama February 11, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Sure, Stacy! I’d love to! I’ll email you now!

• Shari March 21, 2013 at 11:41 am #

The Organic coconut oil is worth the membership fee alone!!! 54oz for $15.99 is a fantastic price!! The organic eggs, frozen organic vegy’s and organic fresh vegy’s are wonderful also!!

2. Tracy February 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Thank you!

3. Carla February 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

They have a Kirkland brand Fruit & Nut medley that I love. Raw walnuts, almonds, dry roasted pistachios, dried cranberries and dried cherries. Perfect take-anywhere snack, and only $9.99 for a 30oz bag!

• The Paleo Mama February 11, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

Ooooo that sounds good!

• Vu October 30, 2013 at 11:16 am #

doh! i went and bought some, but then realized the dried fruits have a lot of sugar! =/

4. Julie @ Homegrown Paleo February 11, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

This is so funny I just did a Paleo Costco haul on my blog today! I love your extensive list and you’re a lucky girl to have 3 Costco’s near you. I live in Houston and have 2 and they don’t have a lot of what you listed. I’m hoping my list helps my friends/family and your list will be a great reference as well! :)

5. Hannah February 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

That has been one of the best things about living back here too… we have a Costco so close to us! I love it! I know my sister in law said they have the kerrygold butter here too, but I can never seem to find it :( Still, so many amazing things at such good prices!

• Patti February 13, 2013 at 3:51 am #

Sometimes the KG butter is with the rest of the butter and sometimes it’s with the specialty cheese.

• Deborah M. March 5, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Don’t hesitate to put in a request at your local Costco for them to carry specific items, like KerryGold Butter. I did this at my local store, because I knew their stores in other areas of the country carried this butter. It took about a month, but one day I came it and the butter had arrived!!

• Leia April 14, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

At my Costco the Kerry Gold butter is by the butcher area, not with the rest of the butter near the dairy fridge. Hope that helps.

6. Hannah February 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

They also have 64 oz *organic heavy cream* for $6.99 at ours… not sure if you have it on the list yet :)

• The Paleo Mama February 11, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

I didn’t look in that section that well! Thank you!

• Edna November 23, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

Everytime I fine Organic Heavy Cream it is Ulta Pasturized which is bad. Is what you found at Costco Ultra Pasteized?

• mc December 29, 2013 at 5:51 am #

It is ultrapasturized. :/

• Ben May 30, 2014 at 8:44 am #

My costco doesn’t have the organic heavy cream. Can you tell me what store has it so I can have our store call down to your to get the product number??
          Thanks
          Ben

• Ben May 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

Hannah, do they still have that Organic 64OZ Heavy Cream at your store and do you know what store number or item number it is because its not in our local store

• Ben May 30, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Can you tell me what store has the 64 oz organic heavy cream. My store doesn’t have it

7. Nicole February 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Thank you! We had let our Costco membership lapse and I’ve been toying with the idea of restarting it. After seeing just how many great paleo finds there were, I think I’m back on the Costco train!!

8. Diane February 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

The Canadian costco’s are now selling organic coconut oil too!

• Jennifer May 26, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

Good to know. My membership has lapsed… may be worth getting it again.

9. Alissa February 12, 2013 at 2:23 am #

Thank you so much! This is so exciting we just moved to an area where we have one! We also just started eating Paleo, so this will help so much!!

10. Ed February 12, 2013 at 2:31 am #

I won’t buy Wholly Guacamole as it is owned by Hormel: http://www.hormelfoods.com/Brands/BrandWall/Wholly-Guacamole

11. KristenK February 12, 2013 at 2:32 am #

LOVE the organic figs – my local stores in are not carrying them any more :( Also my costco carries Sweet Potatoes (not organic) din;t remember the $/# but It’s a good deal and we go through them pretty fast. Also we have whole carrots, spinach, baby spinach (organic), and avocados. MMmmm! I do most of my shopping at costco for sure. And we didn’t even mention the yoga/work out clothes they have there! :)

12. Debbie @OnePaleoDayataTime February 12, 2013 at 2:36 am #

Great list! We do not currently have a Costco – the closest is two hours away – but we are supposed to have one before 2014 – yay!

13. Elizabeth February 12, 2013 at 2:43 am #

Great list! They also sell a box of snack-sized bags of freeze-dried fruit (plain apples, cinnamon apples, bananas & strawberries). There’s nothing else in the ingredient list but those fruits… No added sugar either. A great healthy snack for little kids, that has a great shelf-life!

• The Paleo Mama February 12, 2013 at 4:15 am #

Yes I did include that in my list! Great for kids!

14. Paleomom808 February 12, 2013 at 2:49 am #

I wish we had that kerrigold butter. All we have is organic salted butter and Id rather not use salted butter to make ghee.Maybe I should suggest our Cosco. Thanks for clearing up the paleo list I basically have that all in my fridge guess Im doing it right eventhough only 2 weeks into paleo change:)

• becca g February 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

I couldn’t find the Kerrigold butter for the longest time. Turns out they’ve always carried it at my Costco. I just missed it, as they keep in near the cheese section. Check there!

• Linda April 16, 2013 at 12:49 am #

My hubby is a produce buyer for Costco – I keep putting a plug in his ear to ask the buyer that does dairy to get UNSALTED Kerrygold butter! everyday I bug my hubby :)

• Min January 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Costco only carries salted Kerrygold

15. Carli February 12, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Im new to Paleo, is the Kerry Gold cheese allowed??? I understand why quinoa is a grey area….but cheese?

• The Paleo Mama February 12, 2013 at 4:14 am #

Many people following the Paleo way of eating include dairy. They are called lacto-Paleo and I, certainly, didn’t want to forget about them!

• Hraz February 21, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

I think it is good to remove dairy for 30 days and then add it back in again to see if you have a reaction. For me, it is fine.

• Bryan February 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

There is no such thing as lacto-paleo. Dairy products were not consumed by paleo ancestors. If you want to call a little bit of grassfed cheese a good cheat that’s great, by all means do so. But dairy is in no way and by no means acceptable.

• The Paleo Mama February 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I never said it was! However I do lots who still eat it. If you don’t, then great.

• Mel February 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Bryan, this is why I don’t tell people that I try to follow Paleo, why can’t we all just support eachother in making the best choices we can rather than tearing eachother down. If I wanted to call my diet lacto-Paleo, I have every right to and you have every right to not eat dairy and follow strict-Paleo.

But you do not have the right to be condescending to people who are here just doing the best they can. You do not have the right to tell me that I’m not good enough because I can’t/won’t give up dairy. Yes I know there are benefits to doing so, but I also like cheese and ice cream and life it too short to not enjoy my favorites in moderation. And if I must have a label as it seems you are fond of, lacto-Paleo is descriptive and much more uplifting than your assessment of ‘not-dedicated-enough-Paleo’.

Paleo Mama, Thanks for the list and all the encouragement here! I have been thinking about getting a Costco membership, but with eating cleaner (definitely in the lacto-Paleo category) I wasn’t sure it was worth it. Guess I’ll go do a visit this weekend and see what our Costco carries.

• The Paleo Mama February 13, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Thank you, Mel. I totally agree with you on life being too short. I think for this lifestyle to be sustainable, you have to give yourself a little grace…and others.

• Joseph February 13, 2013 at 4:12 am #

MOOOO! Just a bit of humor. Strict adherents to paleo-based nutrition would not consider dairy congruent in the strictest sense.
            But, seeing as this is not a hard-core Paleo blog post, no harm in a bit of cheese.
            If you were having dairy related health issues, then no dairy.

• Jen May 27, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

our Paleo ancestors didn’t eat domesticated animals, or hardly any of the vegetables and fruits we cultivate now. Really, do we need to be so literal?

• Marie Harter November 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

I was just thinking that Jen! Unless you were there ( which is just not likely )we can only speculate what was really eaten!!
          Happy clean and healthy living!!!

• Rachael Patten January 21, 2014 at 4:50 am #

There’s a huge segment of the ancestral health movement (call it what you will) that includes dairy, with the caveat that it is well-sourced (ie. preferably raw, at least grassfed, organic) and that it is well-tolerated (ie. add it back in and see how you feel). Lacto-Paleo seems like a pretty good term for it- I usually hear PRIMAL. Either way it works for thousands of people (marksdailyapple!) and it’s each to his own, right?

16. Katrina February 12, 2013 at 3:26 am #

We don’t have a lot of what you listed, but we do have coconut oil. :)

17. Megan Peterson February 12, 2013 at 4:16 am #

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 78 oz. for $21!

18. orleatha - Mrs. Paleo February 12, 2013 at 4:41 am #

Great post! They also have a nice selection of wild caught fish in the freezer section. Hake and Cod are staples in our house! Right around $13 for 2.5 pounds

19. Wanda Figueroa February 12, 2013 at 5:03 am #

I found virgin coconut oil 54 oz for 15.99, such a Great price!! And I bought most of the other things on your list, the closet one to us is still a 45 min drive but it’s worth it, so we go about once a month!!

20. Carrie February 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

To those that can’t find the kerrygold I at first could not find it at my Costco. They don’t put it with the other butters its over by the meats/deli/bakery area. Check over there!

21. Carrie February 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

For those who can’t find the kerrygold, I could not find it at first at my Costco. They didn’t put it by the other butters it was over by the deli/meats/bakery area. Try looking there!

22. Delphine February 12, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Wow, awesome list! Gotta plan a trip there soon!

23. Janis February 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

So are the brands you named local and or ethical companies as well?

• The Paleo Mama February 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

I don’t have the time to research every brand I listed and source it. Feel free to do that yourself! I just put the info out there.

24. Bryan February 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Okay this dairy stuff has got to stop. There is no such thing as “lacto-paleo”. Maybe that’s what people who dabble in paleo call themselves but its not paleo. Plain and simple. This list is pretty good but it’s pretty misleading. The ground beef is not grass fed and the bacon is not pastured–neither are the eggs. And please tell me what is paleo about a 10 LB bag of sugar other than you might be able to do wall balls with it?

• The Paleo Mama February 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

If some people want to eat dairy, then that is there concern, not mine. You can source the products and do want you please with them. All I am doing is putting the info out there. I never said that your own personal convictions should stop at the door. However my convictions are different than yours. Some people cannot afford to eat 100% grassfed met, pastured bacon, and $5 dozen of free range eggs. No need to push your opinion on them since you might be able to afford all the best foods.

• Riley May 27, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Bryan is right. If you have your own diet which involves eating dairy and it works for you, that’s great, but don’t call it Paleo. Would you list sugar and cake and call it a diabetic’s shopping list under the excuse that some diabetics may eat sugar from time to time, because it is more affordable than some other foods (fits your budget) and say that after all you only live once?

• The Paleo Mama May 28, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Like I’ve said before, many people who follow the “Paleo” diet also include dairy in their diet. I included this for them.

• The Paleo Mama February 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Oh and also, did you not see my Kombucha comment next to the sugar? Sugar is needed to make Kombucha which is completely acceptable to Paleo

• Orleatha - Mrs. Paleo February 12, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

I think Paleo Policing has got to stop. People follow a template doing what works for them. If dairy works — then dairy is included in their template. If they react to it, then they shouldn’t consume it! Sheesh! Back down officer!

• Misty February 12, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

Bryan, with all due respect, you’re being an antagonist. Social media is no where near Paleo either but you’ve broken that rule…..
      Your point has been made now move on and allow others their “Paleo Template”

• Courtney Crowley June 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Best comment I’ve read yet, Misty!

• LillyTilly July 27, 2014 at 6:41 am #

Guess bryan prefers patriarchally policed paleo. bryan, if you haven’t noticed there are many Women here, getting on JUST FINE. Does a man always have to come and spoil things?

• Hannah June 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

And this is why I am not Paleo anymore. This is ridiculous.

“this dairy stuff has got to stop”. Really? Talk about orthorexia!

• Jennifer June 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

I TOTALLY agree w you Hannah! I’m doing paleo- ish. But dammit if I want a small piece of chews I’m damn well gonna eat it!

• Jennifer June 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

CHEESE . Not chews

25. JoAnne February 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

You should look into the Executive membership. It’s $110, but they give you 2% back on purchases, which for us is in the $60-$80 range per year, depending on what we’ve bought. I make a giant run first thing of the month for our paleo picks, including tons of protein that’s fresh (which I freeze), already frozen, or canned (the low-mercury tuna and wild salmon). It makes it cheaper than the “regular” membership, and if you DIDN’T save money, they’ll refund you the difference.

Also, I’m with you on the grass-fed beef and pastured eggs, etc. I do what I can when I can, including buying the best lipids I can (the coconut oil, Kerrygold butter for ghee, and organic EVOO), organic Costco eggs, etc. I SIMPLY cannot afford organic, grass-fed/pastured everything. Our grocery spending sits right at the low-cost plan on the USDA budget guidelines, and frankly I’m pretty darn impressed with what I do there. I don’t “get” to do crazy coupon games like everyone else because how often are there coupons on REAL FOOD?? I buy the best fish I can (wild-caught salmon and occasionally cod) and stretch it with the frozen tuna and salmon you referenced above so that we can eat fish more often. Even before we went “paleo” (and I still dislike the term) we were a real food, whole food household. (Gluten, Dairy, Soy, and Sugar intolerances will do that for you.) Someday, perhaps, when our kids are older I will work outside the home again, and then they’ll get grass-fed beef all the time, but for now I must rest knowing that I am doing what I can. I do get grass-fed ground beef when it’s on sale at Sprouts and then stretch it with regular ground beef, so that usually our ground beef dishes are 1/2 and 1/2.

I am SO WEARY of the Paleo Police getting all high and mighty about the exact origin of our meat and produce. I have read everything you have read, probably more. I am an ivy-league educated woman who has chosen to be a stay-at-home mother for at least the early years of my children’s lives, and there are sacrifices to be made all around. Enough already.

• Tonya February 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Thank you for your comment, JoAnne.
      Many of us with families have made many of sacrifices to have a healthier lifestyle.
      With my family, we have chosen to eat on a paleo template while being an one income family while homeschooling our children. Some months we don’t have the “luxury” of buying some things. We do the best we can with what we have and are thankful for what we can do. We’re not going to beat ourselves up because we ate a full fat yogurt or pastured bacon. And we’re don’t look down on other that have not chosen the same path that we have.

• The Paleo Mama February 13, 2013 at 1:40 am #

Perfectly said JoAnne! The paleo policing is a big turnoff to those who are interested in Paleo. Thank you for your comment!

26. Natalie February 12, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Costco recently carried dried apple chips that were pure with no additives. They were great crumbled up over fruit as a great granola alternative or mixed with nuts as a great trail mix. They just stopped carrying. The store manager asked that I put in a request and if enough were received, they would look into offering again. Not sure if this is true – but worth a try. Please put in a request when you don’t see your favorite item not at your Costco. If we all do it – they may just listen to us :)

• Mel February 13, 2013 at 8:32 am #

I pick those up at Trader Joe’s, not as great a value as Costco but still fairly reasonably priced.

27. Tim February 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Unless your’s doesn’t carry it, they usually have a 3 pack (4lbs total) of Organic Grass Fed ground beef. It’s $16.99-$17.99 for the 3 pack. Great deal!! STAY AWAY FROM AGAVE! Organic or not. It’s not Paleo, and their jerky has soy in it I do believe. But overall Costco is a great way to get going in this lifestyle.

• The Paleo Mama February 13, 2013 at 1:36 am #

I did include the ground beef in the post! I was happy to find it!

28. Kristie February 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

Everytime I go to Costco, I make it a point to stop by the Customer Service Desk and fill out a comment card telling them I appreciate their large selection of organic and healthy products. I’m hoping by doing so, they will not only continue carrying organic, but also keep adding more!

29. Kara February 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

White Linen of Victoria spaghetti sauce. SO good!

30. Kokopaleo February 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

I think the Aidells sausage and the almond butter are practically reason enough to keep a Coscto membership. I haven’t found prices that great ANYWHERE else, and we go through a lot of those!

31. Linda February 14, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Thank you for this list! It is great. Thank you.
    I buy what we can afford. And yes, I eat dairy, chocolate and drink wine on occasion….and while I don’t like all the labeling, I consider myself Paleo. You have to do what works for you. Enjoy life!

32. Kate Brown February 17, 2013 at 4:24 am #

As far as I know. ‘Paleo’ excludes all dairy, period., ‘Primal’ includes fermented dairy, butter and SOME raw cheeses. In moderation. I’m more Primal. I like Mark Sisson’s view on food. Just by cutting the fake boxed food, grains, legumes and junk food you’re doing 90% better than you were. People need to quit getting high and mighty about this. We are all committing to the same cause, eating clean, whole food. No, we can’t always afford organic, grassfed and even if it carries ‘organic’ label doesn’t MEAN it’s healthy. Life’s too short to be down on everyone else; worry about yourself and your family. Offer advice, not condescending remarks. The remarks only makes one look like an arse. We all came to this page for the same reason! A great compiled list of Primal/Paleo Costco deals! Now I am seriously considering a membership and Costco run when the taxes come in. :) Thank you so much for posting!

33. April February 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Kerrygold butter is cheaper at my local Walmart

34. Adventures in Dressmaking February 19, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Awesome list!!
    We have a pretty limited Bulletproof Diet/sort of Paleo set of basics right now so I don’t expect to find a lot we can eat at Costco, but we did get a whopping 78 OZ container of coconut oil–extra virgin and organic–for $9.99!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!
    Sounds like Costcos have region differences; at ours 3 sticks of Kerrygold is $7.99, so only a little better than TJ’s/Whole Foods and they only have salted!! You really want unsalted to put in coffee!! Bummer.

• Patricia January 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

Actually, the Kerrygold at Costco is 1.5 lbs. of butter not 1 lb. Each ‘stick’ is the same as two single sticks of regular butter.

Maybe I’m weird (okay I am) but I enjoy my Kerrygold salted butter in my coffee. It does not taste salty to me.

Our Costco carries Coleman uncured bacon and Applewood thick bacon.

35. 365daysofBacon.wordpress.com February 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

this post TOTALLY rocks! thanks for sharing :)

36. Deb February 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Are these all GMO free ????
    New to paleo and gluten free…will allow legumes and light dairy.
    Puget Sound girl, too.

37. Melissa February 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

I’ve been watching Paleo blogs and websites for over a year, yet not following the lifestyle. This post pretty much sealed the deal and helped me realize how truly easy this way of life can be. I’m in!

Thank you very much! I’m headed to Costco today.

• The Paleo Mama February 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Awesome Melissa!!! I’m so glad it helped you and so many others!

38. Leah February 28, 2013 at 6:46 am #

My Costco store injects sugar into the Rotisserie Chicken! I was very bummed to discover this the hard way…. Great list by the way, I wish I’d have seen then before spending Hours at Costco reading every single dang lable looking for food to buy.

39. Rex March 18, 2013 at 8:55 am #

As Leah mentioned above, the Rotisserie Chicken may (or perhaps will?) have sugar injected into it. Would love to know if this isn’t always true. But I have to check the ingredient list on all foods so that I can avoid sugar and other chemicals (doing a mix between Paleo/Primal and the Beyond Diet).

Have to substitute sugar with stevia, raw honey, or pure maple syrup, which means this Rotisserie Chicken is not allowed. Perhaps the list should be edited to include some of these warnings just to inform people further? We may not need the policing, but I hate to think anyone would print out that list without fact checking/ingredient searching first due to these missing facts. Better to inform than to potentially be misleading, yes?

• The Paleo Mama March 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I would hope that anyone’s food convictions wouldn’t stop at the door. This is just a very general list.

40. Jeremy White March 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Hey, just as a heads up, I’d like to let you now that one of the suppliers for Costco’s honey says the fields are planted with corn, buckwheat, and soy. Since honey is an animal byproduct you may or may not want to continue to by it based off the plants used for the bees to make honey.

This is the link: http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201209#pg69

• The Paleo Mama March 22, 2013 at 6:47 am #

Grrr…thank you for saying something. That’s so disappointing. Best to get it from your Farmers Market!

41. Hannah March 22, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Love Costco for good paleo finds! Ours has an awesome gallon of organic nutiva extra virgin coconut oil for $21.49! And I just found nutiva brand chia seeds, 3lbs for $13.39!! Such a great deal!

• The Paleo Mama March 22, 2013 at 6:43 am #

I’m going today! Gonna see if mine has chia seeds!

42. Primal Kitchen's Family Grokumentarian March 25, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I keep hearing WONDERFUL things from my fellow CrossFitters about their Costco runs. After 7 years as Sam’s Club members, my husband and I are talking about switching to Costco this summer. Your list gives me a great perspective on what we’d be able to find that I haven’t found at Sam’s!

43. Max in Canada April 15, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Thanks for the great list! This lacto-paleo eater is headed to costco today :)

44. phaladaagro2 May 11, 2013 at 2:12 am #

i gone through your website its really amazing.

Organic Herbs manufacturers.

45. jan May 17, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

I am so mad they buy the organic brocoli from CHINA!!!! I quit buying it!!

jan

46. Ma July 2, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Looovve the list! So helpful! Their organic coconut oil is tops!

Unfortunately I saw yesterday they raised the price of their Maranatha Almond Butter to $7.99!! How can it go from $6.89 to $7.99 in one day? :( I’ll be shopping around on that, as our family flies through it. Hopefully money will talk and consumers will hold back until they re-lower the price.

How about bulk Let’s Do Coconut Organic shredded coconut? Would love to see that there! Ooh and the organic chia is a great price!

• The Paleo Mama July 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

I would love to see coconut milk and shreds at Costco!!!

• Leigh Ann January 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I found Red’s Mill dried shredded coconut no added sugar at Big Lots!

• Denise June 29, 2014 at 9:57 am #

I went for my monthly run to Costco to by the Maranatha Almond Butter–and they no longer sell it! They now have a Kirkland Brand and I don’t know if it’s non-GMO. I’m sure the Corporate aspect of Costco saw the heavy sales of Maranatha and wanted that market. And now they don’t sell Marantha. I won’t go to Costco again since that was the main reason I went.

47. Sherri July 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks for this list! We do have a Costco about an hour away from us. I have never been there before, but now I’m going to check it out. About a week ago I eliminated grains and processed sugars from my diet. I have lost two inches around my waist already. I feel great too! I use paleo recipes, vegitarian recipes, and some that do include dairy. I still eat my greek yogurt and cheese. I have no idea what I am called in the labeling diet world, but I know that what I’m doing is working for me. I guess that’s the most important part. I don’t need to call myself anything other than a good person.

48. jim July 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Good list overall. You called out Quinoa as a grey area. Not sure how sugar, honey, butter and legumes make it on a Paleo list.

• Eugenia January 23, 2014 at 3:56 am #

Both butter and RAW honey are Paleo. Paleo is not what Paleolithic people ate. We don’t eat nearly the same things as they did. But we use their template, in addition to what modern research tells us. That’s the modern Paleo diet. BTW, particularly for honey, it’s a Paleolithic food. All tribes eat it.

49. ambyellen August 26, 2013 at 11:22 am #

They now have organic coconut oil, too.. Also awesome fish oil.

50. Jon October 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

My costco has 12-packs of kefir (half strawberry/half blueberry) for $9.99.

51. Masson Liang October 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

Where in Florida are you?

I am in Miami, FL and I don’t know if I have all the stuff you listed there, unfortunately :(

I went to the Costco in San Jose, CA and it was practically a super sized Whole Food with the amount of organic selection over there. So unfair!

52. Masson October 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Although many of these items are technically “paleo” they are not necessarily organic and do not dismiss them from being products of GMO, pesticides and other harmful ingredients.

53. Priscilla Dawn November 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Hi PaleoMama!
    I just wanted to let you know about a website that sells freeze-dried Paleo meals now. http://www.PaleoMealsToGo.com I thought it might be helpful to your readers. Thanks!
    Love the blog.

54. Tim November 6, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Did anybody add up the total dollars for all the items. Great if you can afford it but ………

• Brandy November 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

I don’t think anyone would buy all 50 of these items at one time…..

55. Janette November 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

My Costco in Rockwall, Texas is now selling a bunch of Paleo cook books!!! They are even starting to carry more and more organic fruits in their produce section. I have both a Sam’s membership and Costco. I really like Costco better but it’s a lot further away .

56. melody November 24, 2013 at 1:14 am #

Hi Iv been reading on Paleo and our anseters did eat grains, anthropologists found them in cave mans teeth ,sorry its a fact.
    I do believe in eating healthy, and Iam not a full paleo, i think even the full paleos go over bored.
    As far as I have read cave men just had a clean diet, fresh food and plenty of walking. I dont think anything is bad for you, as an adult you know what your body is telling you, and you can ignore it or change it.
    Doesnt it all boil down to choices and your body?

57. flmom November 25, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Wow at some of these prices! I’m in FL, but the nearest Costco is over an hour away – lucky you! We’ve been considering making the drive though because selections here are pretty pathetic. Is the organic ground beef also grass-fed? Is the organic honey raw?

58. Kay November 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

I have a question about the fish. My Costco sells pretty much everything you mentioned on the list. The one thing I noticed about the fish and seafood is that most are coming from Taiwan and elsewhere overseas. It makes me a little leery. I haven’t stood there and checked every different fish but has anyone found some that are from the US or Canada?

59. myfitfoodielife December 10, 2013 at 3:20 am #

I buy my wild salmon in the frozen section and it is from Alaska/Canada. I love Costco :). To the poster above who commented that Costco in CA is like a giant Whole Foods, that’s probably because much of U.S. produce is grown in California, so I guess it makes sense that we have so much of it here. Although, I do notice a lot from Mexico too….but Mexico just outlawed GMOs…if you can trust that anyway ;).

60. Ashlee December 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Be careful about the stewed and diced tomatoes in a can. I have purchased those before only to find they have other ingredients in them like sugar and some other stuff (there was no mention of additives on the box except the ingredient list…..I had to take them back because we were on a no-sugar diet at the time :-( Just beware and read labels! Some things can be tricky! But I LOVE Costco!!

61. Kelli December 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Our local Costco stores (Dallas-Fort Worth area) also carry butter and drinkable yogurts from a local grass-fed dairy (Lucky Layla Farms). We are more real food than paleo, and Costco has lots of organic pantry staples that are great. I wouldn’t be able to afford organic ketchup for my son’s addiction if not for Costco (2 44oz bottles for less than $7!). We buy the organic pasta pack from time to time as well (6 16oz packages for $8).

62. Tiffany j December 28, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Gogo squeezes are highly processed and full of added sugars in the forms if concentrates… Hardly a paleo food… Suggestion to remove from your list. They are disgusting if you ask me and not organic.

63. Tama December 28, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

Does anyone know if Sam’s Club has a good organic selection as well?

• Ami March 30, 2014 at 11:33 am #

We recently moved an hour away from our beloved Costco and now need to use Sam’s some. I can tell you what I have observed in the last month or so. They had a organic baby kale spring mix which is great btw and fresh organic raspberries, but the majority of the fresh fruit and veggies they carry (at least at mine in OH) are conventional. The prices are great though on the conventional items but if you have a Costco around they are usually a better choice if you are looking for organic.

64. Kimberly January 2, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Awesome list! I heart Costco and buy many of the products you listed- however, you also listed a few I’ve not seen, such as kerrygold unsalted and also coconut oil!!! I will have a look on my trip today and keep my fingers crossed! My Costco has also not stocked the wild canned salmon in some time, so I will follow the suggestions to fill out a comment card each time I visit. I miss that price!
    As for the police, I think we all have the right to police our own diets as we learn our bodies and determine our goals for health. As was stated, we all also need to do the best we can within our budgets. Most of us who have commented here likely make food buying a priority within our budgets, but there are limitations on all of us at some point.
    I appreciate the knowledge of others, and am always open to learning and listening, but that knowledge and perspective can be offered without judgement- and in fact, will usually be taken more seriously when done so in that manner.
    Thanks Paleo Mama!

• The Paleo Mama January 2, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Thank you so much for that Kimberly! I agree, we all just need to do the best we can!

65. Riki York January 10, 2014 at 7:14 am #

I’m curious your definition of paleo friendly foods after reading your list from Costco. It seems more of an organic list rather than paleo. Of all the research I conducted, sugar is never contested and always removed from the paleo diet, regardless if organic. Many of those items contain sugar, even the organic tomatoe sauce. I was hoping for a truly paleo list.

• The Paleo Mama January 10, 2014 at 11:25 am #

The sugar is for making Kombucha. Did you see my note beside that? And that’s news to me about sugar being in the organic tomatoes. When I looked at the ingredients, there was no sugar.

66. Edie January 20, 2014 at 9:57 am #

We figured out that if the only thing we bought at Costco for the year was the Kerry gold butter we would save more than our membership. And while it may not be true in all locations Costco says that a percentage of it’s organic ground beef is from grass fed farms… We still get our meat mostly from local farm but if this is what people have access to then it is certainly a better option than most grocery stores and a good price. Costco tries hard with the quality and they do take feedback so if more people ask for certain things like grass fed meats/dairy, no sugar items, and non GMO, I think they will listen. Talk to them about what is important to YOU… Which will be different than what is important to someone else…. And that’s ok :). Lets all just support eachother In the real food world. If we fight amongst ourselves we do no one any favors. Thanks to all the bloggers who are trying to make real food understandable and accessible to all!

67. jessica January 20, 2014 at 11:18 am #

You may want to take rotisserie chicken off as it has sugar in it. I used to get it thinking it was okay but then read the ingredients and saw sugar.

68. Sharolyn January 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

I shop at Costco weekly and have found some great stuff there that helps us stay in budget. This week I found a couple of new things: uncured bacon and the mamachia fruit/chia packs for the school lunches.

I think it’s a great place to buy real food especially on a budget. I recently bought a half-side of grass-fed beef but before that, I was totally fine with buying the organic ground beef packs. It’s far better to make the switch to this type of diet and then from there switch to sources that may be more ideal, than to not make the switch at all and stay on a SAD diet. The side of beef for me required many hours of OT to get the upfront investment. Not everyone has that option so there is nothing wrong with doing what you can with what you have.

69. Susan January 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

I love Costco but they don’t have as many organic foods in my area as they do on this list. They have dried fruit but only apricots have no added sugar. I keep making requests for more organic foods. I hope they will begin bringing them to the Independence, Missouri store.

70. amy January 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Sams?

71. monika January 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

I wish we have this selection available in Costco Canada too :(

• Sabrina March 28, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

I live in Canada and was wondering if there prices were for Canada – I’ve never seen anything this cheap at my Costco. For now I’ve been getting coconut oil online. I’ve been using: http://healthyprice.ca/products/cooking-oils/coconut-oil

They have a pretty good listing of coconut oil available online Canada – hope this helps you out too! (Plus they have quite a few other Paleo items).

72. Naomi Williams January 20, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

It might be time for an update on prices for all the nut products. Prices on all nut products have gone up sharply over the past few months. For example, the 26-oz jars of Maranatha Almond Butter are now $9.99, and the 3-lb sacks of Salt-and-Pepper Pistachios in the shell just went up to $19.99. (I’m sure it’s still a better price than anywhere else.)

73. Marcia January 21, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

$9.99 for 26 ounces of MaraNatha almond butter is a good deal! I paid something like $7.00 for 12 oz. of MaraNatha at either Wal-Mart or Giant because my Costo didn’t have it when I was there.

74. Lorenna January 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

We keep a lot of the list, but not all. I’m working with a smaller budget, living in NYC, where it is expensive to buy food, let alone grass fed, etc. I’d live tips on inexpensive foods for my family. I have the additional restraints of a carnivore husband who is allergic to seafood and super picky , a vegetarian teen, and a toddler with severe, severe tree nut allergy. Luckily my other teen will eat anything. My goal is to be about 85% paleo. I do think some treats are good in moderation, my big kids will only drink cow milk, even though I also buy coconut milk, and we aren’t ready to give up all cheese or grains. (Can’t use nut flour breads)

75. Alima January 26, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

I went today and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to find many of the items you mentioned. Mine didn’t have the kerrygold butter which I was bummed about, but I got the organic free range eggs, organic ground beef, organic EVOO, organic chicken broth and some organic veggies too. I will say, I was disappointed about the rotisserie chicken. The ingredients had modified food starch and dextrose – not exactly paleo friendly. But all in all a successful trip. Thanks for making me aware as I have shopped at Costco for paper products for years and never noticed many of these items.

76. Kelli January 27, 2014 at 2:48 am #

Hello, I was surprised to see almonds listed. I read a couple weeks ago on another blog that their almonds are not organic. How do I know for sure they are organic or not organic? Thank you for your help!

77. Hope January 27, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

I know this is an old post, but I want to say thank you for taking the time to post it. We are doing our best to eat clean and currently going grain and dairy free for 45 days. After our first week, I’d say we are going to stay this way (mostly – the kids love their yogurt ;0) ). We love Costco and already buy many of things you listed, but it helps to have this list as it can be overwhelming to just walk in there trying to be grain and dairy free. Also, wanted to say that if you have dogs, they have a great grain free dog food that is cheaper than any other grain-free brand I’ve found. While I believe humans have been eating grains for years (just eating way too many these days IMHO), dogs were never meant to eat them. Our dog is so much healthier since switching her food. We buy one bag every other month and it more than makes up for the membership costs. I worry more about what my kids eat than my dog, but wanted to share with other Costco shoppers. ;0) Again, thank you.

78. Rachel January 28, 2014 at 12:25 am #

Where do u find the other ingredients for the bullet proof coffee? My hubby has been looking for them.

• The Paleo Mama January 28, 2014 at 6:24 am #

What ingredients are you looking for? You can get butter and coconut oil from Costco.

• Kaija February 1, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

Rachel, I think this guy coined the term and he sells a kit for it.

79. Kaija February 1, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Thank you so much for the list! I used it 2 weeks ago, and have been eating so well! It came to $202, but a lot of it is in the freezer. We have ground bison meat here in Colorado too. Not sure if it’s grass-fed. Hoping they don’t feed grains to those beautiful animals.

They have Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, not the one you had on the list. It says it came from oils from Portugal, Spain and Italy and had a very good price. I’m feeling little iffy since there’s been some discussion about EVOO quality in the media recently, but I’m going with it.

80. lynsey February 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Are the cashews at Costco raw and unsalted?

81. Becca G February 24, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

I love Costco. But I must say I’ve been so disappointed in their rotisserie chicken. No msg, sure. But it has carrageenan – which is a horrible additive. It’s impossible to digest and causes inflammation of the intestines. Wish they could make their rotisserie chickens without it.

• Becca G February 24, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

Also our Costco in Maplewood, MN no longer carries coconut oil. They told me they’ve received too many complaints about it and it’s now a “deleted item.” Sad

82. Isabella B. July 21, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Great list. Thank you for your time and effort into putting it together. You should email Costco this list so maybe they would consider printing out these foods on paper and having it readily available for their members to make healthier choices and/ or include this list on their website. I’ve included your list on my home page on my iphone so I can easily access it when I make my trip o the JUST opened Costco 6 minutes from my house. Dangerous, but grateful. Lol.

Your website is great and I’m also reading 21 -day tummy and it has easy delicious recipes you might be interested in as well.

Good health to you all

83. Lori August 5, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

I recently purchased Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour (3 lb. – not organic) and Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour. Don’t remember the prices on those but I remember liking them. I also but the Carrington Farms 54 oz. extra virgin organic coconut oil but, in hindsight, wish it was in glass instead of plastic.

84. Marla August 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

I heard that the organic ground beefsteak Costco isn’t grass fed…it’s fed grains, they just happen to be organic grains. Hoping I’m wrong!

85. Yuntraining August 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

At Cosco actually carries ghee. Picked up two bottles of it couple months ago