Notice: Undefined variable: pm_service_hiddens in /nas/content/live/thepaleomama/wp-content/plugins/plugmatter_featurebox_pro/class.email_services.php on line 100

Spring Clean Your Life with 40+ Homemade Recipes {it's free}!

• Create a chemical-free home by using simple and cheap ingredients!

Two-Minute Paleo Mug Brownie

I found this recipe online today and it looked sooooooo good. I wanted it soooo bad so I thought I would attempt to make a Paleo-version. The first I tried to make it, it tasted good but it was kinda oily and runny. This may have been because I didn’t use white flour…I used almond flour which has natural oils and doesn’t soak up liquid like white flour. I don’t know. Whatever the case may be, I tried again. This time, I used an egg, which the author was trying to avoid, but it came out great and hit the choco-G-spot.

Also, since I am learning how to take food pictures with my new camera, I used some of the author’s staging ideas for this recipe!

Two-Minute Mug Brownie

1/4 cup Almond Flour

1/8-1/4 cup Coconut Sugar

2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder

Pinch of salt

2 TB of beaten egg

2 TB of coconut milk, coffee, or water

Directions:

Stir together your almond flour, coconut sugar, cocoa and a pinch of salt in a ramekin.

_MG_2643

Stir in the egg and milk or coffee.

_MG_2716

Stir it all together until you have a thick, chocolatey paste.

_MG_2687

Microwave it for a minute. If you have a really powerful microwave you may want to check after 30 seconds. It’s done when it is puffed up and springy to the touch…but you still want it a little gooey – like a good brownie should be!

_MG_2735

This makes one ramekin. You can eat it all yourself or you can share it! I was nice and shared it….this time!

***Don’t have coconut sugar???

Use 2 TB of honey or maple syrup and ONLY 1 TB of milk/coffee!!! ***

_MG_2706

, , ,

39 Responses to Two-Minute Paleo Mug Brownie

1. Melinda Perceval January 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

I wish I knew how long I should bake it in the oven! I threw away my microwave many years ago. Google it and I’m sure yours will be in the trash next.

• Karla Tagge March 1, 2013 at 2:00 am #

I agree, refuse to use a microwave for over 15 years. They are ban in Europe, do the google search…. Maybe I’ll try it in my pamper chef ceramic bowl in the convection oven….

• c March 1, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

did either of you find out how long to cook in convection oven??
        i would like to try this, too.

• The Paleo Mama March 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

I’m sorry, I have not tried it and haven’t heard from anyone who has.

• SewFixated September 19, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Microwaves are not banned in Europe. The former Soviet Union did ban them for a period of time starting in 1976, I believe. They also did not make very high quality products back then.

• SRG October 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

Er, no, microwaves are not ‘ban’ (or even banned) in Europe.

• Karen September 16, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Here is info on conversion from microwave to oven:

2. christy January 30, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

When recipes like this one call for Coconut milk is it best to use the canned or carton? Thanks!

• The Paleo Mama January 31, 2013 at 1:55 am #

Christy, I used canned coconut milk for this one. You could use refrigerated too. The refrigerated cartons are more watered down, but it should still work the same!

• The Paleo Mama January 31, 2013 at 2:03 am #

I used canned coconut milk, but you should be able to use your carton with no problems!

3. Mary March 19, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

I just stumbled on this and decided to give it a try. So good and easy! And my kids loved it too! I ended up making two batches since it’s SO easy, and in one of them I added some shredded unsweetened coconut and that was a nice addition. Thanks for the great recipe. Looking forward to following you and trying some of the others.

4. Melody April 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Made these tonight with a sweetener variation. Didn’t have palm sugar so I substituted 2 tbs real maple syrup and 1 tsp raw honey. Reduced milk to 1 tsp to compensate. Turned out perfect. Dark chocolately flavor, very rich. Solved my chocolate craving!

• The Paleo Mama April 11, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

yay!!! Great to hear the substitutions!!! Thank you!

5. Aspen April 19, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Oh. My. Goodness. We just started our paleo venture (after a year of clean eating). I had made several “clean” mug cakes that were always “just ok.” This mug cake is seriously good! I didn’t have coconut palm sugar either, so I used maple syrup as a previous poster had done and topped with coconut milk. My day has been made!!!

• The Paleo Mama April 25, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Yay! So glad it was good and made your day!!! Enjoy!

6. AKM May 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Aww, you and I have the same Pfaltzgraff pattern and ramekin! Hee hee!

I wonder if this would work with coconut flour instead; that’s all I have on hand. Also, I’m kinda more primal than paleo — meaning I eat some dairy — so I’d make it with real whole milk. I’ll be sure to let you know how it works out with coconut flour! Thanks for the idea!

(Also, aren’t you in love with coconut sugar?! It’s the best sugar ever taste-wise, and it’s full of nutrients, even. I just wish it could be as cheap as refined sugar! Oh well, I don’t bake much and I don’t have too much of a sweet tooth, so the $5-$6 bag I bought last fall is still with me, believe it or not.)

7. Betsy September 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Wow, this looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it!

8. Marna September 19, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

I’m not sure which to use now. I have been using Erythritol, but I looked up sweeteners this morning again and saw that Erythritol IS paleo and coconut sugar is NOT paleo. Wish there wasn’t so many different answers to this question. Xylitol is paleo but just as high in carbs as sugar. And Stevia is paleo. I have all three things that I use, but have never bought coconut sugar because it is neither low-carb or paleo friendly. It is so confusing.

• The Paleo Mama September 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Do you have honey or maple syrup? I added how to make it with that on the bottom of the post.

• Marna September 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

I do have raw honey, but trying not to use it too much because of the high carb content. I need to limit my sweets anyway, but I will try it with the honey. Thank you!

9. SewFixated September 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Thank you for the recipe! I can’t wait to try it. I’m also going to try using coconut flour and maple syrup as others have suggested. Can’t wait!

10. Didi January 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

This is really good! I added a tsp of all natural pecan butter for a tasty crunch!

11. Jen February 18, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

Made a couple of these tonight for my husband and myself. Delicious! Thanks for sharing! We didn’t have coconut sugar so I used maple syrup. I finished mine and hubby will take the rest of his tomorrow in his lunch box.

12. Karli April 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

I would like to know how the coconut flour turned out for those who tried it?

13. Cpower April 26, 2014 at 11:22 pm #

I am 9 months pregnant and have been struggling with paleo ALL through this pregnancy. This desert is a life/sanity saver, especially when you “must” have chocolate or the world will end 😉 . Thanks for the recipe!

14. Erin July 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Absolutely perfect! I used cane sugar (1/8 cup) and 1 egg yolk. I’m glad I didn’t change any of your proportions, though, because they were perfect.

15. Dawn October 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks for the recipe. I just made it using the honey and coconut milk option and microwaved 1 minute. Delicious!

16. pam October 17, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

Anyone tried an egg free substitute like a flax egg or chia?

17. pam October 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

Anyone tried an egg substitute like a flax egg or chia?

18. Jamie Cortiaus December 1, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

This was the first dessert in a long time that didn’t feel like a brick in my stomach.
    Thank you so much.

19. Marleen January 22, 2015 at 10:08 pm #

Read it, pinned it, tried it out…….used maple syrup and coconut milk, it was Delicious! I did use the microwave but i would like to use the oven next time. Thanks for something simple and quick for my chocolate craving! I will share it on facebook now!

20. Karen March 5, 2015 at 5:53 pm #

I just quickly whipped this up and scarfed it down in a moment of sheer chocolate withdrawal. It actually came out quite tasty and to the consistency I prefer! Mousse-y, rich, and spongey!
    I substituted almond milk for milk and honey for coconut sugar. It was delish!

21. Karli Weber April 11, 2015 at 11:31 pm #

I used coconut flour. I used 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons coconut milk, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. It was amazing! My nonpaleo husband couldn’t get enough!

22. Sangeetha October 2, 2015 at 1:41 am #

Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

• Sangeetha October 2, 2015 at 1:44 am #

I had only brown sugar handy. Used exact measurements as given. Can’t believe my eyes when I actually saw the lovely chocolate cake. Can’t stop thanking you…

23. Tami March 18, 2016 at 2:49 pm #

This was definitely one of the best mug cake recipes I have tried! (I have tried quite a few). The texture and richness was just right. Thank you!

24. Jennifer April 23, 2016 at 8:39 pm #

I just tried this, and was a bit disappointed in the texture. I think it would be improved with the addition of some fat — coconut oil or ghee, maybe a couple tablespoons — to combat the dry feel in the mouth. Yummy, but next time I’ll add a little fat to the mix.