Fruit Gummy Snacks

Want to learn more about essential oils, but not sure how to start? Try my FREE Essential Oil QuickStart guide and get 10 days of lessons delivered to your email inbox for 10 days.  (order here) ...no strings attached!

My 3 year old LOVES gummy snacks. I’ve been getting the Cliff Rope Twist from Sam’s at a decent price but I wanted to see if I could create something that was similiar, but homemade. I love having ingredients on hand so that when we run out of something, I can just whip it up. In comes my new love with Great Lakes Gelatin.

A friend of mine told me about this gelatin that is made from grassfed beef. I was immediately fascinated and wanted to give it a try. I’ve been trying to create a fruit gummy recipe for a few weeks now but I wanted to avoid commercial gelatin because of the ingredients and dyes that are in it. Great Lakes Gelatin is a wonderful source of protein too, so how cool that I could give my daughter her gummy snacks, and also sneak some protein in!

Here’s the recipe that I came up with. It is very versatile.

Homemade Paleo Fruit Gummies

2/3 cup of fresh berries (I used strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries)

1/2 cup of water

1/3 cup of Great Lakes Gelatin or another unflavored gelatin

6-10 drops of Stevia or a few TB of honey

Throw the fresh berries in a blender and add a few splashes of coconut water to boost the nutrition even more ( you can use regular water). Puree  it till it is the consistancy of runny yogurt.

Next, pour the berry mixture into a small saucepan, put the heat on medium, and slowly added the gelatin. Stir the mixture till all the gelatin is disolved.

Pour the mixture into cute molds, ice cube trays, or just a small 8×8 Pyrex pan. Pop it in the fridge until it sets. It took about 30 minutes for mine to set completely. Since I used a 8×8 Pyrax dish, I then used little cookie cutters and cut out shapes.

Tada! You have a ridiculously healthy fruit snack…especially if you used the Great Lakes gelatin and coconut water! Even if you didn’t it’s still far surpasses the fruit gummies you buy in stores!

Enjoy!

Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, psychological, or psychiatric problem, or a disability that requires medical attention, then you should consult your licensed medical doctor or appropriate health care provider. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

, , , , ,

25 Responses to Fruit Gummy Snacks

1. Mary July 15, 2012 at 1:07 am #

I’ve been looking for ways to use this gelatin powder. Could you dissolve the gelatin with hot water and then add the berry purée? If so, is a half a cup of water enough to dissolve the gelatin? Also, how long does the finished product keep in the fridge?

• Jackie July 16, 2012 at 11:26 am #

I’m not really sure how it would work. I’m new to using this powder. Please let me know if you try it!

2. emily January 18, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

How do you store them? How long to they last?

• The Paleo Mama January 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

We’ve never had any left to store, but if you do, you should probably refrigerate them.

3. Mart January 23, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Found this page after I got an idea today for paleo “gummi” candy. In my case though I don’t have a sweet tooth, so I’d want only very slight sweetening where needed. Flavors like ginger, or hot sauce, perhaps. I will have to try your recipe first. Thanks!

• Rachel October 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

FYI, I read that ginger has an enzyme that breaks down protein, so it will prevent you gelatin from setting. Same thing as fresh/frozen pineapple (canned is okay because the enzyme has broken down), and papaya. I know for a fact that fresh pineapple will prevent gelatin from setting because I tried this once in my early days of marriage. It never set up and we ended up salvaging the pineapple and throwing away the liquid. ☺

4. Ling February 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Do you know if this would work with agar powder – or do you know how much agar powder would be equivalent to the gelatin? Thanks!

• The Paleo Mama February 7, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

I have no idea! I have never used agar powder. Sorry :(

5. Jonathan February 8, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

How long do you cook the berries with the gelatin? Are we bringing the berries up to a boil?

• The Paleo Mama February 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Not long. You just are dissolving the gelatin over the heat. Once it is dissolved, you take the mixture off and pour it into molds

6. Mike March 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

So I tried this but it was virtually flavorless. Did you use 2/3 cup berries or 2/3 cup of each type of berry you listed?

7. Todd Wright March 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Can you please clarify the unit of measure that you called “TB”?.
    I am not familiar with this unit.

8. Esther May 27, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

I’ve been reading through some of your blogs and I have a question. You said in one article that you only let your daughter have yogurt or cottage cheese on rare occasions and that you don’t buy cheese So I’m curious about what high calcium foods you recommend?
    Me and my family are just starting paleo and It’s rather difficult to come up with things that aren’t boring so thanks for posting. I’m actually making the fruit gummies right now :-)

• The Paleo Mama May 28, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Hi Esther! My kids drink almond milk and coconut milk which is high in calcium. They also eat a very balanced diet, eating what we are eating. They won’t eat leafy greens yet, so I add some spinach to their smoothies and they have no idea!

9. Esther May 27, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Any idea where to buy jerky without corn syrup and sugar, and if so what brand and store?

• The Paleo Mama May 28, 2013 at 8:36 am #

I get it sometimes from a gentleman at our local farmer’s market. I also find it at a health food store for a decent price.

• MarShondra June 2, 2013 at 12:26 am #

Also can try Steve’s Paleo Goods for jerky.

• Lori October 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Make your own beef jerky- you can dry it in the oven on low or use a dehydrator. We soak ours in Soy sauce then sprinkle with black pepper and put in the dehydrator and it is usually done with in 12-18 hours

10. crystal June 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

You may wont to look up the recipe for natural fruit roll ups my son loved them as a toddler and they are very similar to your Fruit Gummies unfortunately I don’t remember the specifics or Id give you the recipe myself but its basically just plain fruit blended up and spread on cookie sheet and the put in the oven just verily turned on over night or until dry and leathery but I’m sure you can get the exacts online as my son is 15 now and has not had it in years. I think your kids would love it.

11. Kelly July 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

This looks really good!. I’m trying to get more the healthy gelatin in my diet.

12. Tara August 9, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

Have you tried making these with frozen berries? I’m wondering if I thawed them and use them instead of fresh, should I perhaps leave out the water?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks