I am so pleased and excited to be able to tell you about Spikenard Essential Oil. I, along with many others, have been waiting for the availability of this powerful and purifying oil with many therapeutic uses.
This oil is available to purchase through doTERRA on October 3, 2016!
Spikenard Essential Oil has a long historical significance, being used in ancient times by many cultures. It was part of the Ayurvedic medicine herbal tradition of India, and was treasured in Egypt as a luxury. It was a main ingredient in ancient perfumes, including the consecrated incense described in the Bible and the Talmud. It was used by Achilles in Homer’s “Iliad” to perfume the body of Patrokios. It was a common flavoring in many ancient Roman and Medieval European foods.
It is mentioned several times in the Bible, and I especially love the story in John 12:1-10, where Mary of Bethany use the very expensive Spikenard perfume she carried in a beautiful alabaster jar (about a pint) to anoint the feet of Jesus, then using her own hair to wipe his feet. This was an extravagant display of her devotion to him just two days before His death, the cost equaling a total year’s income at that time. It has become a symbol for many of total abandonment and adoration for the Lord, with no regard to the cost.
Spikenard is a flowering plant of the Valerian family, a flowering plant about three feet tall with pink bell-shaped flowers, and is native to high altitudes in the Himalayan mountains of Nepal. The spikenard sourced from there is of the highest quality, and the quality of any other source of Spikenard oil could not be recommended for any therapeutic use. dōTERRA’s Spikenard essential oil is harvested by steam distillation from the roots of the plant.
Spikenard has a woody, musky aroma that is very uplifting and promotes feelings of calmness and relaxation. It is frequently used in aromatherapy and meditation for its grounding properties. It has a long historical significance of being very therapeutic and purifying to the skin, and promotes clean, healthy skin. Let me tell you a little bit more about some of the specific benefits for this powerful oil.
- Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin
- It can be applied to minor skin irritations to protect them from threats
- Deodorant—Many people find it very useful for helping to eliminate body odor.
- Digestive—Its stimulating, calming effect is effective in eliminating occasional stomach discomfort.
- Its calming quality has long been utilized to soothe nerves and promote healthy sleep.
- Respiratory—It is very useful in helping to support healthy respiratory function caused by environmental and seasonal threats.
- Antioxidant—It protects the body from wear and tear and from occasional outside threats.
- Many people find that just the aroma alone is able to lift them out of depressed moods.
- It helps to support healthy digestive function and keeping your bowels running normal
- Emotions—This oil is very beneficial for helping to produce mental peace and harmony in the emotions.
- Spikenard is a root oil, which helps promote a healthy inflammatory response. It is recommended that you apply Spikenard to your spine, using a downward application, neck to the base of the spine.
How to Use Spikenard Essential Oil
Preparing to Use Essential Oils for the First Time
Because Spikenard is a new essential oil to many people, and I am introducing it to you for the first time, I am aware that there may be some of you who have never used essential oils therapeutically before this. Because of this, I recommend that you introduce their use to your body in stages.
Begin by introducing Spikenard essential oil with another essential oil that is known to seldom cause any negative reactions, like Lavender essential oil. Mix the two oils together and just dab it on your skin in a non-sensitive area as a test. If you have no reactions, or have positive reactions therapeutically or emotionally to the test, then you can use essential oils in a greater quantity.
Try making a rollerball with Spikenard, Lavender, and fractionated coconut oil. Use on your feet, temples, back of neck, wrists, and over your heart. If you continue to have positive responses to your use of these oils, begin to include the addition of stronger oils for their therapeutic uses. These stronger oils may include Eucalyptus, Breathe, Cardamom, and Peppermint essential oils. Be sure that you use only essential oils of the highest therapeutic-grade, and of the purest quality like doTERRA.
It won’t be long until you are enjoying the therapeutic and emotional qualities of many essential oils. You may even want to choose to become a part of our Well-Oiled Machine (The Well-Oiled Machine is a health and wellness team led by my husband, Frank, and I. We are dedicated to sharing natural solutions for your health and home. For more information, email me at email@example.com) or check out my info page here.
Using Spikenard Essential Oil
There are so many ways that you can use this oil therapeutically and emotionally. I want to highlight just a few of these uses for you.
- As an enhancer of other essential oils you use. It is a great oil to layer topically on your body to promote the effectiveness of other essential oils.
- To loosen muscular and joint discomforts and tension. Because of its enhancing qualities, you can make an amazingly effective recipe for alleviating muscle and joint discomfort and for eliminating stress.
- This rollerball recipe includes: 1 part Roman Chamomile essential oil, 1 part Clary Sage essential oil, 1 part Petitgrain essential oil (another great new dōTERRA oil), 1 part Spikenard essential oil. Top with Hazel Nut oil or, if not available, with fractionated coconut oil
- To eliminate flaky scalp Spikenard can be uses to eliminate flaky scalp by adding it to you shampoo, or by applying it directly on your scalp. I recommend a method that has worked well for me: Add several drops of spikenard to a tablespoon or so of coconut oil and rub it into your scalp much like you would a face mask. Then cover your scalp with saran wrap, and leave it in place for an hour. Then shampoo as usual.
- To eliminate pesky skin problems that seem impossible to get rid of. Spikenard is well tolerated by all skin types and can be applied neat if desired, even on the skin of children. I recommend that use Spikenard instead of melaleuca in my All Purpose Salve recipe here!
- Use an inhalation method to help with respiratory issues caused by seasonal and environmental threats. Add 2-3 drops of Spikenard essential oil to a bowl of steaming hot water. Drape a towel over your head and inhale the steaming vapor for a few minutes.
- One of the most relaxing therapeutic uses for Spikenard is through an aromatherapy massage. You can prepare a massage cream by using 1-2 ounces of a great massage oil (I recommend dōTERRA’s AromaTouch Blend) and adding 15-20 drops of Spikenard oil. It will detoxify the body and stimulate the entire circulatory system.
- Try preparing a soothing, rejuvenating tubful of warm water. Add a dispersant like coconut oil, jojoba oil, whole milk, almond milk, or even sea salts to bond with the Spikenard essential oil. Try using 1-2 ounces dispersant with 5-6 drops of Spikenard oil, and step in to this relaxing essential oil experience.
- Prepare a deodorizing spray to use whenever and wherever you want to deodorize or disinfect. Use 1 ounce of vodka or rubbing alcohol, and 1 teaspoon of Spikenard essential oil. Add this to 7-8 ounces of distilled water in a spray bottle. This works great on linens, towels, furniture, rugs, and leaves a refreshing clean smell.
Get Started Today
Once you try Spikenard essential oil I believe that you will fall in love with its therapeutic and medicinal qualities. You can get your own quantity of dōTERRA’s Spikenard Essential Oil early in October. For more information on how to order essential oils please click here (if you are not currently a wholesale customer).
- Jackie Ritz on Periscope: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YqKDDnOBeOKV