Chocolate Mint Love Butter: Homemade Personal Lubricant Recipe

Do you want to feel and look better in just 21 days? Join me in doing the Ultimate Cleanse. Save 20% w/coupon code: SPRINGDTOX (order here) a 21-day, whole-foods based detox program to help you regain your health, lose weight (if that’s your goal), dump the junk from your diet, cleanse your liver, break sugar & carb cravings, gain energy, sleep better, get clear skin, and be the best version of yourself. (order here)

chocolate mint love

Oh yes folks! It’s time to get down and dirty! This has to be the most fun I have EVER had making a recipe! At one point, I was cooking JERK chicken and making this homemade personal lubricant AT THE SAME TIME. I, literally, was laughing my face off. And, thankfully, none of the JERK spices made their way into the lubricant! Oh lordy.

Please don’t tell me that Paleo Mama would just use spit. I’ve tried that and it just isn’t enough sometimes. Some women are blessed and don’t need a personal lubricant, but some need a little help. Plus, this recipe is a whole lot of fun and adds a little spice to the bedroom.

Seriously though, there are so many ways that your personal lubricant may be harming you. Go read this post if you want a breakdown of how harmful your personal lubricant is. And guess what, you aren’t just eating this stuff…your putting it up your vagina. Gross.

Here is why your over-the-counter personal lubricant is terrible for you:

• It decrease fertility
  • It feeds Candida
  • It kills vaginal flora
  • It causes hormone disruption
  • It causes cell damage

Sound sexy, huh? I’ve solved your problem, and my husband has thoroughly enjoyed this recipe…more than any of the Paleo recipes I’ve created! I’ve come up with an EDIBLE, soft, and luscious homemade lubricant. Not only is it completely natural and safe, but it, also, can be used for a sensual massage. You don’t have to whip it, however, whipping it makes it easier to scoop out when the moment arises! ;) If you do whip it and you live in hot weather, it will probably not hold it’s form. However, like I said, whipping is optional. If your house is below 73 degrees, then it should hold it’s whipped form.

For this recipe, I highly recommend you use the best quality products you can find. I link to the ones I recommend in the recipe below. This recipe uses Peppermint Essential Oil which has some really great benefits for vaginal health. You don’t need a lot of peppermint essential oil (ouch), but just enough to get some good vaginal health benefits, along with making the love butter even more delicious!  Let’s face it, mint and chocolate together are just delicious! Bonus that the peppermint also causes a slight warming/tingling sensation! You pay big bucks for those lubricants in the store.

I, also, use coconut oil in this recipe which is anti-viral and anti-fungal. The only warning that I give is that you CANNOT use this lubricant with latex condoms. I recommend you pick up polyurethane condom (non-latex) if you do use condoms. I recommend this one by Trojan or this one by Lifestyles.

I add honey to the recipe to make it so yummy. If this is too kinky for you, just omit the honey. Or if you are just wanting to make a sensual massage butter, you can omit the honey. For another great body butter recipe, check out this post.

Chocolate Mint Love Butter

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of Cacoa/Cocoa Butter (I recommend this one)

1/2 cup of coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)

4 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (where to buy essential oils)

3 teaspoons of raw honey (I recommend this one if you can’t find local, raw honey) – you can omit this if you are just making a massage butter and won’t need it to *clears throat* taste good.

Directions:

1. Put the cacao/cocoa butter in a double boiler. Or if you don’t have a double boiler, like me, you can just make your own. Put a smaller pot inside a bigger pot that is filled with water.

Chocolate Mint Love Butter 1

2. Once the cacao butter is melted, add the coconut oil and stir together.

3. Add the 4 drops of peppermint essential oil and the 3 teaspoons of honey (if using). Stir together.

4. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let it cool on the counter for about 10 minutes.

5. Then put it in the fridge for about an hour. You will see it starting to get hard.

6. After an hour or two, throw it in a mixer and whip it till it forms white peaks and becomes soft and fluffy.

chocolate mint love butter 2

7. You’re done! Scoop it into a jar and it should keep for 3-6 months at room temperature. You can always store it in the fridge which will help it to keep even longer…up to a year.

Have lots of fun with it! This recipe makes a little more than one cup if you whip it. That should last…well that all depends on you! ;)

chocolate mint love butter 3

OUTTAKES – apparently I have a hard time being “sexy” for the camera!

silly love butter

, , , ,

44 Responses to Chocolate Mint Love Butter: Homemade Personal Lubricant Recipe

1. Beccolina October 18, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Did you really keep a straight face while writing this? I couldn’t have. Is there a good alternative to peppermint essential oil for those who don’t care for peppermint flavor? Orange maybe?

• The Paleo Mama October 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

haha…no I laughed a lot! It was so worth it! And yes I would recommend Sweet Orange. Orange and cocoa butter would go great together!

2. Minta October 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Orange wouldn’t give the tingle, though… Cinnamon, might be warming, though, like Mexican Hot Chocolate lube! I’m going to be thinking of flavor combinations all night now!

• The Paleo Mama October 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

You’re right! Orange would not tingle. Cinnamon might be nice!|Love the name! I’ll have to do a follow up post with all the combinations everyone comes up with!

3. Crisarlin October 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I definitely will try this recipe. I post my comments later.

4. Jennifer @ Sweet Plantains October 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Jackie, you’re awesome – thanks so much for sharing my post, and more importantly, for this AMAZING recipe! I can’t wait to try it. I was just wondering the other day what essential oils would be good to use, and you just did the work for me :) I like the idea of experimenting with flavors. Finally – a crunchy experiment my husband will be on board with, lol.

I was dying picturing you cooking the chicken and making the lubricant – way to multi-task!

5. Leeza November 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Wow, I have made this and ‘test drove’ a few times it and me and my DH are VERY pleased!!!
    After trying a number of commercially available products we were either not happy with their performance or concerned with what chemicals I might be absorbing into my body from them.

To be honest I wasn’t really optimistic we’d like anything homemade but was willing to give it a go.

I saw your recipe and also this – http://eatkamloops.org/heathy-household-sex-lubes-and-happy-vagina-pearls/ and I liked the way yours is ‘whipped’. I replaced the mint with a teaspoon of Evening Primrose Oil (idea from the above recipe) because I’m not a big mint fan and we’re not crazy about anything that warms or tingles. I’ve read that Evening Primrose Oil has some vaginal health benefits and possibly increases blood flow so I thought that’d be a good addition.

So… fast forward to the results – we both agree it’s awesome! You need only a tiny bit, it doesn’t get sticky, it smells nice and ‘natural’ and it actually feels GREAT! (better than any commercial products). We will definitely continue to use this.

The only question mark I have is regarding the UTI factor, I tend to get them easily if not careful. Since this is oil based, I think one needs to shower and wash it off with soap if that’s a concern. I do and I’ve not have a problem yet. It’s worth the extra effort IMHO.

Thanks!!

• The Paleo Mama November 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

I love the Primrose Oil idea! I used that when I was pregnant a lot and it is great for vaginal health!!! I am so glad you have loved it and it makes me so happy that you came back to tell me this!!!

6. Jenn November 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Ok, just to verify, can this be used internally?
    Thanks in advance for your help :)

• The Paleo Mama November 13, 2013 at 9:03 am #

All the ingredients are safe to use internally. Just find the best source you can!

7. christina November 16, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

ummm… peppermint eo makes my lips swell… I might need an alternative LMAO

8. Valerie G. November 21, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Oh this is so AWESOME!!! Do you know what the shelf life of this is? This would make for a very naughty Christmas gifts for my sisters and their husbands! LOL

9. amaryn grace November 30, 2013 at 7:03 am #

Peppermint oil and honey (and any food for that matter) are extremely dangerous to put anywhere near the female gentials inside or out. I don’t know how you came up with this but you should at least write that you should test it first before putting it on a moucous membrane. Or that sugar from the honey can feed yeast bacteria causing them to multiply and throw off the vagina’s pH balance.

• makalove January 15, 2014 at 9:57 am #

I agree that honey is a great big NO-NO, especially for those who are prone to yeast infections.

10. Holly December 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Hi there! Thanks for this recipe, it looks awesome!
    Do you have any ideas for a latex-safe alternative? I too hate the idea of using the store-bought, chemical-laden stuff, but I continue to use it anyway, because I can’t find anything else that’s safe for the condoms we use.

• makalove January 15, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Do a Google search for flax seed lube recipes. They should be latex safe. (Of course, it might be worth testing it with a condom to be sure, but my understanding is that flax seed lube is latex safe.)

11. Kerryn December 17, 2013 at 6:06 am #

Never even thought of this. After reading the above article, I immediately threw out my store bought lube and converted to coconut oil. After the first use, I realized (sorry of TMI) that the stinging I used to get was non-exsistant – gee, could it have been a reaction to the chemicals in the lube?! Have never felt better, and am definitely making it as a ‘naughty’ christmas present for my sisters!

12. Joy Bear December 26, 2013 at 8:55 am #

This looks interesting and worth giving it a try. I have made several “honeymoon basket” products. My personal lubricant recipe is just coconut oil with essential oils of vanilla and sweet orange. I melt the coconut oil if my kitchen is cool enough for it to be solidified. Then I just stir in the oils and add a lable to the top to remind me or others that contents are liquid when warm. It has a lovely dreamsicle/ tropical aroma and taste. You may not want to use the essential oils if you are using condoms though.

13. Christina January 12, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Any suggestions for alternatives for the coconut oil? I’m allergic. :/

• The Paleo Mama January 13, 2014 at 7:38 am #

I’ve never made it without coconut oil. I’m sorry!

14. Madalyn McArthur January 15, 2014 at 9:42 am #

Thanks so much for sharing! I heard that coconut oil is a great lubricant, but I wanted to find a way to make it easier to grab out of the jar, this is a great start for me, thanks!

15. Christine January 23, 2014 at 1:42 am #

is putting honey (sugar) up the vagina a good idea? I fear an insane amount of yeast infections

• The Paleo Mama January 23, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

If you are prone to yeast, then leave it out. Manuka honey is incredible for any part of your body!

16. Merina January 30, 2014 at 2:28 am #

Nice recipe! Just to clarify this concern folks have about putting honey in their yoni; I’m a Certified Sexologist and Sex Educator, and I can tell you, without a doubt, that honey is VERY GOOD for the yoni! It creates the perfect PH, kills sperm, is anti~bacterial, anti~microbial, and anti~viral!!! It heals yeast infections, and bacterial infections, (thrush,) which are more common than yeast infections.
    Cleopatra used a sea sponge soaked in honey as her form of birth control. It is very effective.

17. Susan February 3, 2014 at 3:15 pm #

How careful do you need to be about washing after use, or is it safe to leave it alone?

18. kristin @ petal and thorn February 12, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

this post is just what i was looking for! thanks for being brave enough to post it :))

19. Lori February 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

Any substitute for the cacao butter? Just saw this-live in a small town and want to make it today for Valentines:)

20. cindy February 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

Stupid question, but where does one get cacao butter?

• The Paleo Mama February 17, 2014 at 9:39 am #

I ordered mine on Amazon. I link to the one I use. You can also get Cocoa Butter at stores. Just get a safe one from a trustworthy place!

21. MommyTaylor February 14, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Can it be made without a cocoa or shea butter? My local store was out and I wanted to make it for tonight? I guess it would be flavored coconut oil.

22. Robin February 14, 2014 at 11:56 pm #

Would this be safe to use with toys?

23. Jenny February 15, 2014 at 10:12 am #

Just found this site…”embarrassing” subject, but important nonetheless. I have struggled with dryness ever since surgery at the age of 39 (yup, had to have ALL of my main baby parts removed). I am now 48, so to find this is a godsend for me! I will be buying these things and whipping up a batch this week, because the commercial products sting, burn, and are itchy for me and I thought this was normal. Thanks for this posting!

24. Sylvia March 12, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks for the recipe! I tried it and I’m trying to make it again without the honey. My only question is, does it have to be whipped? Can it be used without the “whipping” part to the recipe? For some reason it turned out a bit hard. :(

25. JP April 7, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

Is this recipe compatible with silicone toys?

• The Paleo Mama April 8, 2014 at 11:52 am #

I am not sure! I know it’s not with latex, but I’m not sure about silicone. I don’t see why not though.